Intex SWG with Copper question.

There's just a plug you can unplug. You can just leave it open but some people like to seal it up.

Copper ions do kill algae but slowly. The down side is the staining. Since you have to have a sanitizer in the water anyway there's no need to have copper.

this is what bbhead said to me in a PM when i asked him about it,

"I have the CS8110 unit in the owners manual under operation instructions it sais to run the boost cycle when copper is low. Sounds to me like it does not produce copper in standard run setting. But still produces less clo. than older units."
i hope that helps you.

i havent seen the new ones yet, but i guess u can disconnect it somehow as well. i will be back on here probally in the next few days posting as to how, once i get my new unit.....not sure if i want to give my old unit 1 more year or just hook up new one and be done with it....my old unit is on its third year.....a light went out last year, but everything still worked great, plus i keep my stuff clean as clean can be, so the unit still looks new. wish i could figure out the light deal though....

interesting indeed. i guess once i get my new unit, i will call the number on the back of the manual and see if they will be able to tell me about it. i will post here once i call them. i'm not sure they will know, but i guess its worth a shot.
its not supposed to be here till 4/20....so give me a couple days after that and i will post my findings.

I'd stick with the old one until it's broken...On year 3 with mine and hoping to not have to pull the back-up out anytime soon :lol:

The other main difference with the "copper" 54601 model, is that it apparently only produces 1/2 the chlorine of the older 56601 model :rant:

The Intex FAQ say that the copper output during normal use is 3% of the copper output from the "Boost" cycle. I used the SWG with copper last year.

I was actually looking up how to disconnect the copper. My problem was that my daughters hair stayed a very bright green all summer, despite swimmers shampoo. This is the first pool that has done that to her hair, so it was my belief that the copper was causing it.

What I didnt realize was the reduced chlorine output. I have a 3800 gallon pool and I had to run it for 4 hours per day. I did use the Boost cycle 2 times last summer when opening the pool. Perhaps if I never use the boost, the small amount of copper will not be a problem. I'm not sure if I really like the idea of running the SWG for 8 hours, but then again I dont like a 5 year old with green hair either :)

Do you take your pool down every year?

If so then you'd be wise to unplug the cable to the copper electrodes. It's easy to do.

On a pool that size you shouldn't have to run your swcg more than a couple of hours a day. Read Pool School on how to care for a temporary pool. Get all your levels in the recommended range and you should be good.

I came here to brag on the Intex SWG and now you guys have me wondering :lol:

We installed this thing back in April and I have to say this has been the nicest two months of owning a pool in the six years we've had it. I LOVE this thing! In two months, I have vacuumed only twice, cleaned the walls once, added 3# CYA and the pool has remained crystal clear. Got in today for the first time (the kids have swam since mid April) today to clean it and was both horrified and amazed at what I found. Under my steps was a pile..a HUGE pile of leaves, pollen, limbs, plywood and insulation (tornado debris left from 4-27). I can't believe the pool stayed balanced with all that rubbish under the steps and I KNOW for a fact it's been there since 4-27 because of the contents.

We ARE running ours 12 hrs a day (24'/14500 G), but to me it's worth the difference in $$ spent on bleach--not to mention the time I've saved on cleaning.

Ours DOES have the copper...with vinyl and dark headed kids, I'm praying for no problems!

If my satisfaction does not change over the next few months, I'd happily purchase a new one each year simply because of the ease of keeping the pool---a lot more time for playing; lot less cleaning.

Now if I can just get my bead back into the track as easy as Jason makes it sound; today will be all good..... :lol:

pedsrn, having a SWG, any SWG, sure is nice :goodjob:

Aside from the copper question, the Intex is a usable basic unit that works for most people. The only challenge is that you do need to do some minimal water balancing. Once you do that, things usually go very well. I recommend disconnecting the copper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, after I posted yesterday, I thought about my daughter's very blonde friend and figured I need to disconnect the copper.

any simple instructions on HOW/Where to unhook the copper for the mechanically challenged? Model 54601E

Thanks!

It is very easy, you simply unplug the cable that runs to the copper bars. I can't find a picture to show you which cable I mean. Does anyone out there have a picture of the Intex SWG showing the cable to the copper bars?

I have one of the older models purchased last year - worked great and was very excited this year when opening the pool since it was still nice and clear, but then came the problem of the SWG not working. The unit comes on and the timer works, but the chlorine light never comes on so I'm guessing something is broken inside.

Since it is still under warranty I'm going to have to call and see what the next step is - I'm guessing I'll have to send this one back for repair/replacement. Has anyone had to do this with the older model and gotten a newer model in return? We are already running this on a 20,000G+ pool so having half the chlorine production is really going to hurt.

Edit - To answer my own question they asked if this was a copper model or the older and I said older and asked which would be sent and they said the same model, so it will be non-copper. Fingers crossed the pool can stay clear until then..

Edit again... so yeah, they sent me the copper model anyway. lovely

Many of us have disconnected or removed the copper bars with no ill effects. I'm not positive but I think they are supposed to boost the chlorine production. What I've learned on here is that metals in your water is bad. Copper turns things green. Like hair and clothing. I unplugged the copper bars on my swg a year ago and all is right with the world. I plan to remove them all together as soon as I can make a trip to the hardware store.

I would be interested to know tho, are there copper components in the upper crust of salt water chlorine generators? I'm thinking not since I've never heard mention of them on this forum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.