Intex Strainer/Inlet

Addisonm06

May 23, 2022
Michigan
Hi all! New here and eager to learn!
I have a prism 15’x48 inch pool that I put up last year. I purchased a 2150gph intex sand filter (with the saltwater system) over the winter. The new pump uses 1.5” hoses.

I have no problem cutting the liner for the 1.5in fittings. I have a few questions for the experienced.

First off, is it recommended to replace the strainer (s) with the larger 1.5” ones? I am using the deluxe skimmer. So I’m not quite sure that the bigger strainer that the skimmer hooks to would make much of a difference.

Secondly; Alternatively, would it make more sense to leave the strainer connections as they currently are (1.25 connections) and use the t-plunger to connect the strainers to the new pump?

Third; has anyone moved their inlet to one of the strainer holes instead? Curious as the inlet hole is so high up, I’m curious if making one of the strainer holes the inlet and plugging off the existing inlet hole is a better option.

Thank you all in advance!

Welcome to TFP forums!

We've done a similar modification to our pool and you will want to increase both inlet (water to pump) and outlet (water to pool) sizes to not put extra stress on the bigger pump. Be sure to fill the pool with water up to the level were you will be cutting out the openings so the vinyl is 'stretched' into position.

Welcome to TFP forums!

We've done a similar modification to our pool and you will want to increase both inlet (water to pump) and outlet (water to pool) sizes to not put extra stress on the bigger pump. Be sure to fill the pool with water up to the level were you will be cutting out the openings so the vinyl is 'stretched' into position.
Thanks so much for the quick and great input! If I increase both inlet and outlet, and with using a deluxe skimmer, do you see any issue with me utilize 1 of the 2 inlets as an outlet and having just 1 inlet (the skimmer) ?

Or am I better off keeping 1 outlet and 2 inlets? I just don’t want to have a stream of water skipping on top of the water line from the outlet as the only outlet is fairly high up; given my pool isn’t 100% level, it the outlet side is in the lower level side of the water line. It’s not drastic by any means, more of an OCD concern.

How off-level is your pool?

When I had my Intex, I kept the return as a return, installed skimmer for one inlet and used one of the two lower holes as a second inlet. I put a valve on it so I could control how open it was. I capped off the other hole.

i liked having two inlets, because I was a worry wart about the water dropping lower than skimmer and making my pump run dry. That’s my only complaint about my new pool - it only has skimmer and return.

How off-level is your pool?

When I had my Intex, I kept the return as a return, installed skimmer for one inlet and used one of the two lower holes as a second inlet. I put a valve on it so I could control how open it was. I capped off the other hole.

i liked having two inlets, because I was a worry wart about the water dropping lower than skimmer and making my pump run dry. That’s my only complaint about my new pool - it only has skimmer and return.
Hi there!
It’s really not that “off level”. Not enough to make a concern or difference I believe.

If I kept both inlets, I’m trying to find a 1.5” tee connector (seems like they don’t have them by intex and I’d need to backyard my own).

My thoughts were to:
1. Keep the 1.25 inlets and use a t-plunger valve which the 1.25 will connect to the t-plunger then to the 1.5” inlet line.

2. Plug one of the inlets, convert the other inlet from 1.25-1.5” and hook the strainer to this inlet.

3. Convert both inlets to 1.5” and somehow figure out how to connect both inlets together then into the pump.

Thanks so much for the quick and great input! If I increase both inlet and outlet, and with using a deluxe skimmer, do you see any issue with me utilize 1 of the 2 inlets as an outlet and having just 1 inlet (the skimmer) ?
We only use 1 return and the skimmer/inlet :) (with the larger 1.5" Intex hose connections.

I have seen mods on YT videos of pool owners that do keep the dual 1.25" inlets (most do not do the thru-wall skimmer). I am guessing it boils down to availability

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.