Intex Sand Filter and Pump Pressure Issue

Jul 15, 2012
I've had an Intex sand filter and pump on my 18' above ground Intex for a few years now. Been working fine. This year, I'm having some issues where when the pump turns on, it's sucking air and the filter basket isn't filling with water fast enough. I have it on a timer, so I hate to have it run all day like that and potentially burn out the motor. The current fix is to backwash the filter. It seems to take a few seconds until the water starts to come out of the backwash, almost as if something is clogged and then shoots out. Once the backwash starts to come out, I can switch it back to filter and it works fine until the next time the pump turns off and back on. I've checked for clogs in the pipes and didn't find anything. Suggestions?

Air in the hose between the pump and skimmer? Is there a drop that might be holding air, just lift up the hose so there is a constant incline between the pump and skimmer.

I also used to occasionally need to use a little hook made by a paper clip to clean out under the grate on the pump under the pump to sand filter hose. (With Sand filter closed and skimmer closed)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.