Intex pools to Non-Intex equipment

Hi all,
Thanks launboy for starting this thread! Everyones pics and details have been real helpfull. Guess what I found not 3 blocks from my house today... A intex frame set pool with what looks like a hayward sand filter, and yes a through the wall skimmer installed. Just so happens my brother knows the people that own the pool so I should be able to go in and get pics of the install. Really curious on the skimmer install!!! Will let everyone know what I find out.

Glad I could help! That's what the thread was started for... Does the Hayward filter still work? I would take it and the skimmer, even if you have to cut the pool to get it out and not waste a lot of time. Take pics of the install!!! I wish I found stuff like that on the curb. The best things I ever found were 2 snowblowers... One needed a new primer bulb, and the other needed a belt tightened. I've used one for 3 years with no trouble and the other one I only got to use on the last snowstorm this past winter, but it worked extrordinarily well.

Adam

I need to get you guys pics of the 18'x48" Metal Frame Pool I purchased as it came with a through the wall (ie liner) skimmer box. I feel like I have an usual pool in that respect simply because everyone else I see with Intex pools just have the standard hoses (same as what we had on our little Intex pool last year).

The skimmer box is designed as a cartridge holder with the pump mounted on the bottom and that whole unit is attached to the pool wall. Then there is a return hose that goes from there back to the pool. Of course the pump built into the skimmer box is slow as Crud and isn't worth a dime but that is how my pool came to me NIB.

I should mention that this is one of the Sand N Sun Wal-mart pools (made by Intex of course).

Greg

GCS,
My Intex is the same as yours, with the skimmer box thru the wall. I have been looking at other setups and your's is the only one that I have heard of that is like mine. I also noticed that I gave ALOT less for my Intex than I have seen others priced at. I only gave $350.00 at Wal-Mart, and I have been seeing the same size, metal framed Intex for $850 and up. What's up with that?

I want to add solar panels and a sand filter to my set up, but I am a bit at a loss right now as to where to begin. If I know that the pump that I have would push enough water out to handle the sand filter and the panels, then I would go for it. I guess it's going to be one of those trial and error things.

Does your liner in the pool have a design? Mine is just light blue.

I was so fed up with the pump and skimmer that came with our 18 x 48 metal frame intex that over the weekend we changed all the equipment. We cut in a wall skimmer and hooked it to a 3/4 horse pump and a sta rite filter cartridge we did leave the intex saltwater system hooked up to it though. My pool was krystal clean within 2 hours of hooking it all up! Now its spins around like a whirlpool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you can use BBB. Your Intex pool has a vinyl liner. If you are new to all this pool stuff, click on the "Pool School" button at the top right of this page, and start reading. You may want to start with the Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Pooh School is an excellent resource, and this is a great place to ask questions when you have them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.