Intex pool always going green

First of all, NO MORE SHOCK. Only use bleach (aka liquid chlorine) from this point on. It's the CYA in the shock that got you into this predicament to begin with.

The problem is, without knowing your current CYA and FC levels, no one knows how much bleach to tell you to add to your pool.

Wal Mart here in the US sells a 6-way test kit from HTH that tests for CYA for around $25. You might see if you can find one in Canada, and then we can go from there.

Our you can just drain the pool all the way and start from scratch, and then we'll know your starting point will be zero. Then we can go from there.

Can some one explain a difference between cyanuric acid and pool stabalizer?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks. I'm looking for a test kit locally but am not having much luck so for sure I'll get one for next year. In the me a time. Still draining then I'll scrub it down and refill. How much bleach then should I add?

CYA and stabilizer are the same thing.

According to pool math, you should add 18 oz. of stabilizer to bring your CYA to 30 ppm, and then 96 oz of 8.25% bleach to bring your FC to 4 ppm.

You'll have to add some bleach every day, as it will be used up by killing algae and the sun. Try to keep it around 4 ppm. Use poolmath to know how much to add.

You'll also probably need to add some muriatic or baking soda to get your pH into the range 7.2 - 7.8. Again poolmath will tell you how much. Enter 4600 gallons as your pool volume.

So when I restart I add the stabalizer first, then the bleach, and then baking soda? I have my chemicals still from Canadian tire. Stabalizer and ph + &- but should I switch to baking soda as well?

should I still be adding algicide?

Did you get a chance to pick up an OTO test kit yet? Those are drop tests with a two-block color comparator, one with a yellow cap (OTO chlorine test), the other with a red cap (phenol red pH test). The OTO test doesn't read above 5 ppm chlorine, but it is more trustworthy than test strips.

You really have to stay on top of your chlorine levels (daily test and replenishment) to avoid having the pool go green again after you get nice clean water into it. Beyond the initial dose of chlorine, no one will be able to tell you how much bleach to add every day unless you have a trustworthy measurement of chlorine level.

I've just finished emptying the pool. I'm going to the store today to get a better test kit and my bleach. Then I'll scrub the pool down and refill. I will still get that kit you are all recommending but again being in Canada probBly won't have it in time for the season.
So once filled I'll add the stabalizer and bleach and check the ph.
Why no algicide? I thought that was supose to help stop algae from happening

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so the pool is almost full. so I'm going to add based on the calculator for a 4600 pool 18 oz of stabilizer and based on 10.3% bleach 23 oz. and of course check the ph level. how do i know what to add daily afterwards for bleach?

ok for testing i have the test strips which measure ph, chlorine, alk and stabilizer which i know now are garbage. i picked up the test from canadian tire for just ph and chlorine where you add the drops to the water. I'm going to get a better kit for next year.

ok so pool has been refilled for 2 days. yesterday had some heavy use. last night ph and chlorine in check. this morning both are still fine yet the pool water already looks different. its clear but not clear if you know what i mean. pump has been running none stop unless we are in the pool. i cleaned the filter with had green on it and still running the pump. so this is what i keep running into. had clear water for a day and already algae is taking over...
How do i get a clear pool and keep it clear!!
stablizer is at 30, ph and cholr are both perfect as well...so what are my options........

You have to keep a consistent chlorine level, based on your CYA, all the time, to keep algae away. No matter the size of the pool. The basic concept is the same. Low CL and lack of brushing and circulating/filtering the water will lead to algae. Read pool school and the other pages and you'll be a pro in no time!

i run my pump 24/7 unless we are in the pool swimming, i brush the pool daily, vacuum it, clean the filter mutliple times a day..my levels are always good right now
ph 7.2 FC 5 stabilizer 30.
again i have a huge over hanging tree.i don't know what else to do

Add enough bleach to target 10 ppm for a couple of days and see what happens. You're going to have to guess a bit as to what your current FC is without a better test kit. Let's assume 4.

i run my pump 24/7 unless we are in the pool swimming, i brush the pool daily, vacuum it, clean the filter mutliple times a day..my levels are always good right now
ph 7.2 FC 5 stabilizer 30.
again i have a huge over hanging tree.i don't know what else to do
That sounds very frustrating, especially after all the work of scrubbing the pool - not a trivial task to get into all the nooks and crannies where algae could be hiding. Before returning to the algae issue, just curious since you keep mentioning the overhanging tree... Why is that a concern? Is it visibly dropping material into the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.