Intex owners: did you leave yours up over the winter?

how cold does it get? Did it freeze solid, (I know this post is old but i am planning on doing the same this winter) and live in NE CT where it will be below freezing

Hello neighbor!

I'm on my third season, the pool has been left up since we first set it up, no issues at all.

Just be sure to lower the water below the return and bring the water up to shock level and hold it there for 24 hours before you close.

This was the first winter we left our Ultra up in -35* weather and it was fine. I drained it below the intake, took the hoses, valves, and pumps away to store in my heated shop. Left the old solar blanket on it as a cover on the water. Froze solid, but when it melted, things were great. I would never put a winter cover on it, I think the snow here would put too much pressure on the uprights with the cover pulling down on it. Just let it fill up with snow, and when it melted, drained out the open inlet.
We took it down and back up for 4 years, decided to leave and see. Was a good experience for us as I made sure things were done properly before hand.

I live in ohio and have the 24 by 52" metal frame and left it up all winter. Drained half way down and stored all hoses, pump and everything inside. Just cleaned it yesterday and started filling. They hold up very well, mine is still like new. It is way to big to take down and try to dry and manhandle it to store it. 8)

I live in Wisconsin and am closing up a 16 x 32' ultra frame intex pool for the winter. Everyone tells me to take it down but it's to big! I am with you. Just want to treat it and cover it for the winter. I am using pillows etc....but what did you use for a cover?

left my 18000L rectangle above ground up last winter and was a great idea. Just brought it up to slam level and drained it to below the ports and removed all the hoses and pumps and that was it. My pool is a saltwater pool. It was also a solid block of ice since our winters hover around -20c and go down to -45c. She is circulating right now and im adding my salt and borates today. Fc is good and ph is a bit low but ill leave that till later today or tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I am going to ask a question. I have a Summer
Escapes Metal Frame Pool. My husband thinks we can leave it up this winter. I do not agree. I do not think the liner is as durable as the ultra or pro models. Any thoughts?

IMG_0538.jpg

Can I ask what all did you use to protect it? Like covers etc..

Never used a cover, found no need for it. Left my leaf cover on until first snow, then took that off. Never liked that idea of a winter cover due to the amount of snow we can get sometimes here. I feel it would put undue pressure on the sides for no real benefit.
Now saying that, I actually left my old solar blanket on one winter floating on the waster (that turned to ice later). Helped keep leaves out somewhat, but still quite a bit went in even though we tried carefully to take it our without spilling.

I live in ohio and have the 24 by 52" metal frame and left it up all winter. Drained half way down and stored all hoses, pump and everything inside. Just cleaned it yesterday and started filling. They hold up very well, mine is still like new. It is way to big to take down and try to dry and manhandle it to store it. 8)

I was wondering how these pools hold up in winters in NY? Anyone have experience? We have had the 16x48 and had taken it down each summer. I got tired of it and finally sold it last year. For next summer I want the 24x52 but we would need to leave it up in the winters since it would be too big to deal with taking down and storing. Wondering how it would hold up. I'd like it to last at least 4 years for the investment of it.

I was wondering how these pools hold up in winters in NY? Anyone have experience? We have had the 16x48 and had taken it down each summer. I got tired of it and finally sold it last year. For next summer I want the 24x52 but we would need to leave it up in the winters since it would be too big to deal with taking down and storing. Wondering how it would hold up. I'd like it to last at least 4 years for the investment of it.

We're in Orange county and leave our 16x48 up all year. It's is our 4th season and besides some stain and fade it's in perfect condition. We use pillow and winter cover. No issues, well except for the first year our cover fell in lol.

We are in Tennessee and we leave our Intex 12x24 pool up all winter. We have Fox Pool and Spa come out in early October to close our pool and put in chemicals to keep it from growing anything, they pump out part of the water, put a cover on it along with a pump that sits on top of the cover. After bad weather we go out and turn the electric pump on to clear the water off the cover. Then we schedule them to come back on April1st to reopen our pool for the Summer. They clean the pool,fill it back up, put the saltwater chemicals in and we are ready to swim.
We do check the water every two weeks or so. We take a sample to Fox and they give us a report on everything to do with our pool water. It is generally perfect and if not, they tell us exactly what to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.