Intex Dual Intake pool

ohb3one

Jul 10, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have an above ground 10ft x 30in Round Intex on it's 3rd summer. Last year the pump that came with it basically stopped working but it was at the end of summer and I thought I'll deal with it next year. This year I bought an INTEX 28637EG C1000 Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump and it only came with 2 hoses. Since the pool has the double intake with T joint, I hooked the new pump up with 1 of the hoses that came with it to the return and used the old hoses for the intake. After 1 day it turns out that 3 of the 4 old hoses had leaks. After an hour of trying to find out why there's the double intake in case I can just use one as I saw the not of USA and Canada needing 2 on the pump manual I finally looked back at the manual that mentions the virginia graeme baker pool and spa safety act which is the reason. The double intake is to meet the requirement so that the "drain" can't entrap a child. Sorry but somehow I don't even think that's a danger for this pool given that there's almost no suction power even with this new pump especially with the guards on the intakes the pool comes with. So I just wanted to know if there is any functional issue with using only one intake as I have gone that route now and finally found my answer that it's fine.

So I hooked up the other hose that came with the pump to one intake and plugged the other with the plug that came with the pool.

If anyone reads this and has a reason that I should not do this and should buy replacement hoses please let me know. This is my first time on these forums and probably won't be my last.

If I have to I can just get 2 hoses from intex directly that'll cost around 15 bucks after shipping. Cheaper than amazon. I just bought the replacement filter and need the maintenance kit that has the vaccuum I didn't want to have to spend any more money on this! It would be nice if Intex simply supplied all the hoses needed for a US pool with the pump .

Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP.

We cannot condone bypassing a mandatory safety feature on your pool that can create an entrapment hazard as much as you think it cannot happen with your pump.

Yes, you should buy replacement hoses and connect it the proper way.

my pool is old an only has one intake. well technically it has two, since I added a through-the-wall skimmer, but the old one is shut off. we may not condone it but there are a lot of pools out there that either only have one intake or people have blocked off the second. it won't hurt the pump, and if you are really concerned, get the other hose or just turn your pump off when people are in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.