Intex cartridge vs. Sand filters-size particle removed??

docchop1 said:
I recently switched from a intex 2000gph cartridge to the intex 1600gph sand filter and the water flow is slightly diminished but the water is far cleaner and I can run the pump less hours each day.

Thanks for that!! It makes me feel a bit better about spending limited money. I will probably put the new salt system on Craig's list with one of my old pumps since I already had a salt system.

One questions though, does it run the skimmer and vacuum well? I have a lot of kids going in and out of mine and they track in a lot of grass and dirt. The 2,500 gph, despite disclaimers, will pull sand off the bottom pretty well.

Thanks again!

My skimmer works the same as it did before and the vac works a little better. Better because I don't lose vacuum half way through and have to stop to clean out the cartridge. I'm very very happy with the new filter so far and I hope you have the same good luck with yours.

tmgoethe said:
docchop1 said:
I will probably put the new salt system on Craig's list with one of my old pumps since I already had a salt system.

Which SWG do you have?

I would recommend keeping the Intex put up somewhere as a backup. They go for $199 in most stores during the start of pool season every year (always a little cheaper online). But since you basically get it for free, it would make an excellent backup for when the one you have dies, as they all do eventually.

rastoma said:
tmgoethe said:
docchop1 said:
I will probably put the new salt system on Craig's list with one of my old pumps since I already had a salt system.

Which SWG do you have?

I would recommend keeping the Intex put up somewhere as a backup. They go for $199 in most stores during the start of pool season every year (always a little cheaper online). But since you basically get it for free, it would make an excellent backup for when the one you have dies, as they all do eventually.

I would like to keep it as a backup, but money is tight now. I think I can make this a no cost upgrade and that would help at the moment. I hope I can sell the new SWG and cartridge filter pump for what I am out in cash or a little more on this with no problems. I may sell the old SWG, but I think I can move a new, unopened in the box one a lot more easily. Personally, I wouldn't buy used Intex stuff and I suspect most other people would feel the same.

And where do I file a complaint about my defective Lotto ticket? :)

Something to help keep the pool cleaner is to have the kids step into a container of water before entering. I use a large rubber tub, but another member here uses a kiddie pool. Put something like this in front of the ladder, and it will help tremendously.

Brushpup said:
Something to help keep the pool cleaner is to have the kids step into a container of water before entering. I use a large rubber tub, but another member here uses a kiddie pool. Put something like this in front of the ladder, and it will help tremendously.

I've been doing that with a bucket, but a tub would be a lot better. Amazing what they can track in!!

Enforcing the bucket/tub stepping got too intense and barely worked. My kid's listeners are broken regularly. The larger kiddie pool eliminates them having to remember, and mom hollers a lot less about foot crud that could/should have been avoided.

Somebody over stepped it a couple days ago... found two pieces of grass in the skimmer :~}

For what it's worth. I'm a recent graduate to the 2650 GPH Sand Filter and one thing I noticed with the Cartridge filter was a line of dirt forming off the water return eye ball. I'd clean it off but it always re-formed. I'm certain this was because of the way the filter sits in the cartridge pump. It's a bad design and doesn't seal very well. I miss the waterflow of the 4000 GPH but I'm pretty sure the sand filter is doing a better job getting junk out of my water.

frogabog said:
Enforcing the bucket/tub stepping got too intense and barely worked. My kid's listeners are broken regularly. The larger kiddie pool eliminates them having to remember, and mom hollers a lot less about foot crud that could/should have been avoided.

Somebody over stepped it a couple days ago... found two pieces of grass in the skimmer :~}

Hmm, I do still have a kiddie pool left that we raised ducks in. Wonder if my wife will tolerate it :)

My son and friends also have listener issues. And I thought it was an isolated incident :)

Works well to keep the ladder in place as well because it can't be pulled in towards the pool with the feet all snug up against the kiddie pool walls. Of course bungees are essential. This year we raised the kiddie pool to keep the ladder from damaging the liner like it did last year.

Kiddiepool.jpg

Laddertilt.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frogabog said:
Works well to keep the ladder in place as well because it can't be pulled in towards the pool with the feet all snug up against the kiddie pool walls. Of course bungees are essential. This year we raised the kiddie pool to keep the ladder from damaging the liner like it did last year.

Kiddiepool.jpg

Laddertilt.jpg

I love how your chlorinating the kiddie pool ;)

frogabog said:

Well done, that should take care of the faulty listening :) I'll have to look into it myself. Hate the grass in the pool, though it is turning into sand in the pool as the pool water does not seem to be good for my St. Augustine grass. Time for some pavers. Sigh!

Got my 1,600 gph sand filter and overnight it appears to have gotten out the last bit of annoying cloudiness that wouldn't go away with the 2,500 gph cartridge filter. Thanks to those who posted that Wal-Mart deal here!!

This said, the water flow is down a lot and I miss that for the skimmer and the vacuum hose. I will probably work up the nerve to cut another set of holes in the liner and put the old pump on the other corner with the skimmer (I connect the vacuum hose with the skimmer connection.) The other option might be to pipe it so I can go from one pump to the other, but I imagine that being able to skim and pump through the sand at the same time would be very handy here in bug infested FL.

Thanks all!

I ordered the Walmart sand/swg filter deal and plan to install it next weekend. Anyone have any great tips to get it set up. What do I need in the way of the type of sand to use. Don't understand the chemistry of the swg so do I need to buy salt also? What are the readings supposed to be for the water with the SWG system? I have very little problem with the water now other than adding BBB to keep the levels correct....just wondering how different it will be with the SWG system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.