Intex 18 foot pool, 5 years old or so, fraying, tattered threads on one spot on the horizonatal support beams?

I noticed a few threads loose on the one horizontal section at the end (photo:)
Capturefray.JPG

I really didnt see this anywhere else, well maybe one other spot but very minor.
My hunch is that tapping the net on the side in those 2 spots actually caused this, not being 5 years old (july 2016 origination).

Is there anything i can do to prevent a real tear or further thread fraying? For now I snipped those down a bit so nothing snags and tears across.

If an actual tear occurs its time to drain the pool obviously, not safe.

Any suggestions? Guessing this might be the last season for the pool especially if i see an actual tear.

Thanks in advance

Mine has been doing that for about 3 years, mine is going on 9 years now and it is still good to go :)
Wow really, never a tear that compromised things?

Did you ever put anything on it to keep them from getting worse, or maybe on the others from keeping them from starting? debating flex spray (mainly as a protectorant) but thats messy and unless clear you cant see if it is tearing

I painted most of mine with "as-seen-on-tv" paint. the fraying was getting silly and I was nervous. the two lengths that never got paint started splitting a year or so after so I used a bunch of the tape on them. so yes they will eventually rip, get the paint, two coats - it plasters down all the hair and works great. next intex will get the paint on year 2. I suspect it will flake off when the pool is brand new but I would get it on there before they fray too much.

I painted most of mine with "as-seen-on-tv" paint. the fraying was getting silly and I was nervous. the two lengths that never got paint started splitting a year or so after so I used a bunch of the tape on them. so yes they will eventually rip, get the paint, two coats - it plasters down all the hair and works great. next intex will get the paint on year 2. I suspect it will flake off when the pool is brand new but I would get it on there before they fray too much.
Which paint would that be doesn't it make it hard to see if there is a tear or is there clear I was still thinking clear flex sray might work

How did the parts that split end up? Did it actually tear and did you have to drain n retire it

Which paint would that be doesn't it make it hard to see if there is a tear or is there clear I was still thinking clear flex sray might work

How did the parts that split end up? Did it actually tear and did you have to drain n retire it
I'll take some photos in a bit. I used the brush on flex seal. it is pretty thick and covered all the fraying hairs in an interesting texture. at first I was cutting the fur off, but then I realized that might be adding to the weakening of the sleeve so I tried the paint and it has done well. did two coats on all but three sleeves. I think it took 2 quarts. I used white because I wanted it to reflect the sun. you can still see if something starts to rip. on the two that began to split, I started with a few pieces of the 4 inch tape and had to add more because I was a little late with getting it done. I could see by the way the glue was kind of stretching away from the white vinyl so I got some wider stuff to reinforce the situaion. I suspect at least one of them is split completely. I think with the round pools, the upper part of the frame is more to hold the shape than actual "support" so the main thing is keeping the sleeves in place.

I'll take some photos in a bit. I used the brush on flex seal. it is pretty thick and covered all the fraying hairs in an interesting texture. at first I was cutting the fur off, but then I realized that might be adding to the weakening of the sleeve so I tried the paint and it has done well. did two coats on all but three sleeves. I think it took 2 quarts. I used white because I wanted it to reflect the sun. you can still see if something starts to rip. on the two that began to split, I started with a few pieces of the 4 inch tape and had to add more because I was a little late with getting it done. I could see by the way the glue was kind of stretching away from the white vinyl so I got some wider stuff to reinforce the situaion. I suspect at least one of them is split completely. I think with the round pools, the upper part of the frame is more to hold the shape than actual "support" so the main thing is keeping the sleeves in place.
Thanks for the info. Im curious what tape this is you used. On the flex seal, before seeing this i bought clear and sprayed it on a few spots to see how it goes. Of course it rained 2 hours later, so i may just go get the white instead.

this reply is about the tape. it is the "as seen on tv" flex seal tape. it is some kind of vinyl over a very sticky goo. you cut then pull off a plastic backing like a messy bumper sticker. (try to get fresh stock if you use this, I noticed a big difference in the ease of cutting between new and obviously older rolls) it comes in white, grey, black. and maybe clear? the goo will turn yellow in the sun eventually and I had a little problem with the vinyl kind of slipping or shrinking off of the goo but it has held pretty well for a couple of years now.

I used it a year or two after I painted most of the sleeves. the two sleeves I didn't paint originally weren't fraying that bad and the paint doesn't go far (and it is pretty expensive). if I recall, they never frayed as bad but started to split instead. maybe less fiberglass during manufacture in that area??? I tried to patch with two overlapping strips along the sleeve, one started separating badly and I had to add more. the other one spread a little but stopped and has held fine.

finally just an illustration of how you can block a hole if there is a lot of splash out due to not being entirely level and subsequently getting rust on those legs.

Attachments

• 20210526_162325.jpeg
    20210526_162325.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210526_162336.jpeg
    20210526_162336.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210526_162350.jpeg
    20210526_162350.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210526_162401.jpeg
    20210526_162401.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210526_162455.jpeg
    20210526_162455.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: theskyisthelimit99

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
this is what the paint looks like after 4 or 5 years (I think. I don't remember when I did this) sorry about the dirt, this is a very dusty year, we are in severe drought and I don't waste water splashing a lot or cleaning surfaces. the texture is kind of rubbery and not as harsh as it might look with all that "hair" embedded in the paint.

you can see I am getting a little new fraying below the original spots. this pool has been exposed to the Arizona sun for almost 8 years with I think only one or two winters having a real cover that protected the sleeves. one photo shows how the paint will come off if the vinyl is still slick so this does need to be done after some damage has started but maybe not at long as I let it go. LOL

Attachments

• 20210526_162424.jpeg
    20210526_162424.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210526_162435.jpeg
    20210526_162435.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210526_162523.jpeg
    20210526_162523.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.