Intermittent pump

dndrich

Silver Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Sebastopol, CA
Pool pals:

I have an Intermatic P1353ME programmable timer for a two stage pump, and booster pump. It must be at least 10 years old. I also have a 2 stage pump Century AO Smith 2 speed pump. Recently I have been sitting out by my pool, and when the booster and high speed go on, they go for a while, and then stop. The booster motor stays on, but the high speed of the two speed stops. Also, the Aquapure chlorine generator loses power then too. The green light is slightly on, but the rest is dead. If I wait a while or flip the breaker and wait a while, the low speed and high speed work again. Given this scenario I suspect the problem is the timer relays? Since if the pump were failing or somehow had some kind of overheat mechanism to shut down then it would seem to me the Aquapure would still show power because it is on the load side. So I suspect it is the timer. Thoughts? How to trouble shoot? Or should I just replace the timer?

OK, I replaced the timer today and all appears to be working well. Now, when I removed the old one and wired in the new one, I found the wiring quite interesting. There were 2 jumper wires in there. All I did was repeat what was there. I am using mode 4 with a two speed pump, and a booster pump. My Jandy Aquapure is wired in somehow too. I did not do any forensic work to figure out exactly how it was all done, but after I set it up the way it was before, all seems to be perfectly well. Not sure when the pool installer put it in they knew what to do! These instructions are not in the manual for sure.

Reactions: PoolStored