Intermatic T104M Replacement Problem

mwinnick

Jun 6, 2023
Plano, Texas
My Polaris was not coming on even though the timer was operating. My pool guy said it was probably a part in the timer that the tripper actuates to turn it on. I bought a new T104M.

This is a picture showing the BEFORE wiring

IMG_3111.jpg

I detached all the wires and removed the timer. But I could not take it out of the enclosure because as you can see in the next two pictures, there were two wires attched to the motor, which is the last picture at the end of this post. The motor had two prongs sticking out of one end and these two wires (white ones) were tightly wrapped around each of the prongs and the two wires were attached against the back of the enclosure into a small set of four connectors. I assume the red and green ones at the lower connection were holding power that would then transfer to the upper two connections that the white ones went attached to before they then went to the motor. I just rolled them up, shielded the ends and left them in the box sitting on top of the freeze protector box.

IMG_3113.jpg

So above is where the white wires were attached to and below is how I shielded them and left in the enclosure.

IMG_3114.jpg

Below is a shot of what the new T104M looked like. You can see, as did I, that there are two white wires running into the motor and they are connected on the front side to two of the connection points where I assume they get powered.

IMG_3115.jpg

Upper is back side, lower is front. I thought this was a neat way to avoid having to have power drawn from some other shource when there would be power available right on the timer connectors.

IMG_3116.jpg

Below you can see the old motor and it's prongs.

IMG_3117.jpg

So I set the trippers and the time and powered up.

And the timer does not run. The motor isn't working because the dial doesn't turn.
But my main pump works as it's controlled by the timer on the other side of this enclosure that I have no picture showing.

Any ideas what's going on? And does Intermatic change how their motor gets power?

Thanks,

Mike

My Polaris was not coming on even though the timer was operating. My pool guy said it was probably a part in the timer that the tripper actuates to turn it on. I bought a new T104M.

This is a picture showing the BEFORE wiring

View attachment 500851

I detached all the wires and removed the timer. But I could not take it out of the enclosure because as you can see in the next two pictures, there were two wires attched to the motor, which is the last picture at the end of this post. The motor had two prongs sticking out of one end and these two wires (white ones) were tightly wrapped around each of the prongs and the two wires were attached against the back of the enclosure into a small set of four connectors. I assume the red and green ones at the lower connection were holding power that would then transfer to the upper two connections that the white ones went attached to before they then went to the motor. I just rolled them up, shielded the ends and left them in the box sitting on top of the freeze protector box.

View attachment 500852

So above is where the white wires were attached to and below is how I shielded them and left in the enclosure.

View attachment 500853

Below is a shot of what the new T104M looked like. You can see, as did I, that there are two white wires running into the motor and they are connected on the front side to two of the connection points where I assume they get powered.

View attachment 500854

Upper is back side, lower is front. I thought this was a neat way to avoid having to have power drawn from some other shource when there would be power available right on the timer connectors.

View attachment 500855

Below you can see the old motor and it's prongs.

View attachment 500856

So I set the trippers and the time and powered up.

And the timer does not run. The motor isn't working because the dial doesn't turn.
But my main pump works as it's controlled by the timer on the other side of this enclosure that I have no picture showing.

Any ideas what's going on? And does Intermatic change how their motor gets power?

Thanks,

Mike
Does the pump run when the timer is in the "On" position? Need to see more of the wiring. If so, it is possible that the wires are reversed.
Wire to terminals 1 and 3 should be from the breaker (line, constant power). Wire on terminals 2 and 4 to the pump (load). That way the timer has power to the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.