Intermatic 120v T104 Pool Timer - Timer Dial Working but wont turn switch on or off

Jul 11, 2018
Tucson/Arizona
Hey guys,

Recently having a new issue with my pool timer not being able to turn the main off/on switch. The problem seems clear, but I am hoping someone has a better answer than mine, which is to replace the unit for $50+.
The yellow timer dial is working. You can not only see the gears in the back constantly turning, but it also keeps the correct time if you were to have no switches on it. The problem is when the timer dial runs into a on or off switch. I.E. When the pool pump is turned on, the timer dials gets all the way to the OFF switch and then stops. The timer dial seems to be having trouble pushing the Main Switch over. I have check the gears, and they are all greased up normally, and nothing looks wrong. Please take a look at the pics, you can see in the picture how close it is to flipping the main switch. This also happens when the pool pump is off and the timer dial runs into the off switch.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• PT1.jpg
    PT1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 33
  • PT2.jpg
    PT2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
In my experience those mechanical timers wear out and need to be replaced.

I have used the exact one for 30 years. Every so often you have to replace. 5 to 10 years. The motor is not strong enough anymore to turn the switch. Good thing is easy to change. Leave the box and just change the switch assembly. One clip and just pops out. I know this is an item that will need to be replaced so I keep a spare on hand. Usually can get them cheaper on ebay if dont need one in a rush.
I have not switched to digital because I dont think the lifespan is any better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.