Interesting hidden manual pool cover (Australian build)

Davegnh

Jul 31, 2021
Southern NH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Not my build just thought it was unique (at least to me)
This is a electric engineer Youtuber I follow and noticed on his 2nd channel he documented his pool build 8 months ago. I just thought I would share what he did with his pool cover. Had a hidden slot built into his deck that pops open and you manual winch pool cover into a hidden pocket in the deck. Not sure if this is common in Australia but looks nice and must be a lot cheaper than auto covers. He has a whole series on the build good look into Australian pool tech (acid feeder, SWCG, inverter heat pump (16 COP), but used a 2 speed pump....)

1716317480399.png1716317681369.png

Youtube video

No idea, first time I've seen this.

Just keep in mind that from a safety point of view this wouldn't replace a proper auto cover. In Australia pool fences are mandatory, so covers are only used to keep the water warm and reduce evaporation.

I’ve seen a few incorporated into new builds. Not common but they are available and probably a current trend. I’ve seen a few disasters due to a lack of drainage and levels. Not all builders get them right. The one in the pic looks like it would be hard on the cover the way it’s dragged over the edge every time it comes off. I’ve also seen a few cover rollers that are hidden in a wooden box structure that doubles as seating.