Intellitouch i9 intermittent power

Zeusmouse

Aug 19, 2023
Riverside
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New member here. This site is wonderful, been browsing before I joined.

My IntelliTouch panel has power intermittently. System was working fine until a new home electrical panel installed. My IntelliTouch panel now only powers up in the evening for several hours. When the panel lights are not on, I noticed I have 110v at the transformer but no power on the low voltage side. it appears the transformer may be the issue. Do transformers work intermittently? it seems like it would not work at all if it was bad. None of the circuit breakers have tripped. I would like to confirm this before just replacing parts.

Z,

Power Transformers do go bad, but not often.. They are not normally intermittent.

Are you sure the transformer is wired for 115 volts and not 240 volts?

I suggest that you test the AC input to the IntelliTouch load center and ensure you have 240 volts. Make sure you test between the L1 and L2 input and NOT L1 to ground and the L2 to ground.

It is very odd this would happen right after the main house panel was replaced... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Z,

Good!!!

The next step would be to disconnect the power plug to the main card and then remeasure the transformer's outputs right at the power plug.

You should have three outputs and you can't check anything to ground you have to test between the output windings..

You should get about 12 Volts AC between the Blue wire and Blue/White wire.
You should get about 18 Volts AC between the Orange wire and the Orange/White wire.
You should get about 24 Volts AC between the Red wire and the Red/White wires.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Z,

Just want to confirm that you are measuring between each set of wires and not to ground... ??

If so, and you have 115 volts across the two input leads to the transformer, then the transformer has to be bad..

In my 60 years of doing this stuff, I can count on one hand the number of bad power transformers I have seen... (Not counting the ones that were initially wired wrong and blown up... :mrgreen: ). So I agree it is odd.. and more odd as to happening just after they replaced your main CB panel.

In any case, if this were my system, I would start with replacing the system transformer.. I would order a new one and then I'd probably cut off the power plug on the old one and test it again, just because I have OCD.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will resume the test when I return home, I did it incorrectly. I tested between each wire and ground. I will retest when I return home later Today. Oddly enough, once I plugged the panel back in at the board, it powered up and came on for about 10 minutes and shut down. While it was on I could hear the transformer humming a bit. :unsure:

Z,

Check to make sure the power plug to the main card is not corroded.. We have see that before..

My "guess" is that one of the power supply regulators on the main card is intermittently bad. If you can, get a can of freeze spray and see if you can make the card go good and bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Corrected the issue, the CB panel they installed had a new grounding system is the easiest way I can explain. I had to move the violet wire from the transformer to a new ground and all systems are a go. Thank you Jim for all of your assistance. Will be looking to upgrade my automation system from IntelliTouch to newest platform that will fit in my panel. Again, thank you Jim

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Z,

Not sure why the grounds would be different, but it now makes sense why replacing the main CB panel had an effect on your automation.

I can still only count "bad transformers" on one hand... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the update,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.