Intellipump on AGP XStream filter broke the locking ring (what's the right filter to use?) (where to buy replacement ring?)

gonefishin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I have a 33" round above ground pool. I have an Intellipump hooked up, but I do have it throttled down quite a bit. I just replaced the XStream filter about two years ago because the locking ring broke before. Well, after about two years this one broke too.

question #1, is there a place to buy the locking rings quick and cheap (so I can get things running again)

question #2, is there a better matching filter to the intellipump that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I have the maximum running RPM turned down, but it still goes through the priming phase where the motor is ramped up

thanks

You can reduce the prime speed and time for the Intelliflo VS on the pump screen. As your pump is below the water level of the pool, you can disable priming completely if you wish.

Lots of filters out there. Your volume pool should have a very large cartridge filter. What size is the one you have?

Check with InyoPools for a replacement.

I have set the variable speeds, and the max speed previously. But I didn't know I could disable the priming function, thanks! I got another top (and locking ring) to the 150sqft Hayward type Xstream cartridge filter. I think this will do me for now, especially with the priming disabled. Thanks

Thanks so far Marty. The cc1500 Xstream filter is rated at 150sqft filtration area and the specs say it will turn over 48k in 8 hour, 72k in 12 hour.

My immediate concern was getting the filter up and running, which I did. I will look into filter replacements now. I'd like to get something that's more durable than the Hayward Xstream type filter as I've had two of the locking rings break in about three years time. Max running psi is currently 15psi and priming now disabled. Even when priming was on, the max psi priming was below the max filter rating of 30psi (think it primed at 22psi or so).

I've been doing trouble free pools back when Ben had his page, before TFP. The pool is clean/clear throughout the year with some debris/pollen settling on the bottom between vacuuming. Inyo pools recommend cartridge filter size for 24-36' round is 90sqft and up (my filter is 150sqft). Again, I want to look into better cartridge filtration and I'm open to any recommendations.

Thanks,
Dan

Filter "turnover" ratings are very misleading. To get 48k gallons through that filter in 8 hours would require 100gpm. To do that safely would require at least 2.5" plumbing through the whole system and your pump to run near full speed. Not sure what skimmer you have, but it won't handle that flow rate.

Filter size is more about how much dirt can it hold before needing cleaning. Anything less than 300 sq. ft. is now considered very small. The size you choose has very much to do with how often are you willing to clean it. It is the cleaning of a cartridge filter that wears the cartridge out, not the filtration (as long as we are talking about "normal" pool debris). Large filter, slow water, easy to clean less often, long cartridge life.

Reactions: mknauss
Understood. I know this filter is undersized and that the quality is not up for the task of such a large volume of water in my pool. While true, I first wanted to get the filter running again so I would be circulating and producing chlorine again.

But I would also appreciate any recommendations on cartridge filters for my 33' round pool. If you have a recommendation for a quality pool filter for my large above ground, keeping durability in mind, I'd love to hear it. Also, if you know of a filter model that doesn't perform well and has known problems that would be helpful as well.

Since the cartridges are virtually all the same, Hayward and Pentair are good. There have been some issues with Waterway tanks, but they seem to have solved the issue. Jandy is good as well, but repair parts are much more expensive. It is good to stick with the bigger manufacturers as parts, whether OEM or aftermarket, are more readily available when needed (which isn't very often).

Reactions: gonefishin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.