Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2022
Roseville, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My local Pentair authorized installer just installed my new Intellipro VSF in a way that seems contrary to the instructions in the manual.

There are 2 issues: The suction inlet pipe is much shorter than recommended and there are elbows very close to although not directly connected to the inlets and outlets, all of which are contrary to the installation instructions.

The manual states in, "“We also recommend a valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line should be no closer to the front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line pipe diameter. See Figure 2.
Example: A 2-inch pipe requires a 10-inch (254 mm) straight run in front of the suction inlet of the pump). This will help the pump prime faster and last longer. Note: DO NOT install 90° elbows directly into the pump inlet and outlet."

In my case, the suction inlet pipe length is just the few inches you see in the photo (only the length of the connection) AND there appear to be elbows almost directly installed at both the inlet and outlet.

It sounds like there wasn't enough room on my pad to begin with, but I am not sure if my assessment is correct and, if so, how detrimental the effect? Should I request they reinstall it? I expect this pump to run at least 10 years. Is it OK to run the pump "as is" until then?

fig 2.png 5.jpg 3b.jpg

PNH,

In the big picture I doubt that you will ever notice the difference.

I can't see the whole pad, but when you bring pipes up through concrete you really limit what can be done.

Most people buy VS pumps so that they can be run at a low RPM to save on the electrical bill. At a low RPM, I doubt the input and output issues will cause any problems. Might be an issue with much higher RPMs, if you need max flow from the pump.

Tell us what all the pump is going to be required to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Initially, just circulating the water through the lines to the filter, pool/waterfall, and sweeper, kreepy krawly legend II, this is about 70 feet one way to the return outlets and waterfall which is less than 2 foot tall (we like to run the waterfall most of the day and evening and this is our only pump) but the initial idea was to replace my 2009 and yet still perfectly functioning single speed Pentair 1 HP SF HP 1.65, PMP-WFE-4 116/208-230v, in anticipation of a solar panel (375 - 400 ft sq) install on my 2 story home later this year. I thought the install would be of greater quality if performed by the local Pentair installer and pool servicer rather than a solar company that also does solar pool heating, considering both would charge $2k.

Thank you for your advice ! (Sorry for the late reply, I don't seem to be getting the email alerts for responses, etc.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.