IntelliFlo Power Out Failure Alarm

PattonD

Aug 22, 2015
Plano, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have a Pentair 011017 IntelliFlo VS+SVRS High Performance Pool Pump that has been installed just over 3 years (31 days out of warranty according to Pentair.).

I came home today and the system was down, found the breaker had been tripped (first time that has happened) and when it rebooted, got the Power Out Failure Alarm and can't get it to reset. I have turned the system off, waited ten minutes, same thing. Held the 4 speed buttons down for 30 seconds, no change. Called Pentair, they said talk to your dealer. It's late Saturday, they are closed till Monday, I want to try and find out what is going on.

Any suggestions?

this is what the manual says about the alert, not sure what it wants me to do outside of turning it off and waiting before turning it back on

Power out failure: The incoming supply voltage is less than 170 VAC. The drive faults to protect itself from over current. The drive contains capacitors that keep it powered up long enough to save the current run parameters. If power is restored during this process, approximately 20 seconds, the drive will not restart until completed.

Patton,

If this were my pump, I would test the output of the GFCI breaker that feeds the pump and ensure it is 220/240 volts.. Test with power applied to the pump and measure between L1 and L2 NOT between L1 and ground and L2 and ground..

Then I would test right at the input to the pump and makes sure it reads 220/240 volts. (Measure between L1 and L2)

I "assume" the pump is wired directly from the breaker to the pump without going through any relays of any kind.

The "Power out failure" happens when the input voltage drops below 170 volts... Either the input voltage is low and that is the problem (Maybe a bad circuit breaker) or the pump is bad dragging the voltage down below 170 and causing the reported failure..

Let's hope it is not the pump motor or control head..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim

Fear of high voltage wiring has always kept me back from learning how to test voltage and the like but when I hit the test button on the GFCI breaker (see photo), it doesn't seem to trip anything like GFCI outlets do. Can a breaker bring enough power to run the LEDs of the Easytouch and IntelliFlo but deliver enough for the pump not to run?

Last edited:
Patton,

When you push the test button on the GFCI for the pump, it should pop... :scratch:

We really need to see how it is wired under the metal cover.. You can take the cover off and take a couple of pics.. To be safe, just don't stick your hand inside once the cover is off..

That said, if you are voltage adverse, which I fully understand, it is really time to call a friend or an electrician to come give you a hand...

I would think that the GFCI is bad if it will not run the 'test"...

Another thing to look at would be the breaker in your main house panel that feeds the pool.. It could also be bad causing a low voltage condition.

From a logical point of view, it is almost impossible for anyone to test the control head for a failure.. If this were my pool I would want to try every other option before I bought a new pump or control head... So replacing the GFCI in the EasyTouch and maybe the pool breaker in the house panel, would be a cheap form of troubleshooting for a DIY guy..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: PattonD
Jim,
Just had big storms roll through, so I am done trying to figure it out for the night. Have a couple of calls out for a less electrically impaired friend help. Will post pics then as well.

Thanks again for the help!
Patton

Here is the promised photo of the wiring. Called an electrician to come over tomorrow to check voltages. I really think that breaker is bad, it doesn't "click" or "snap" when you turn on or off, no real resistance

IMG_20190602_134242.jpg

Patton,

Thanks for the pic.. I just wanted to make sure the IntelliFlo was not wired through a relay.. Does not look like it, but I can't tell with all the wires tied together...

Let's see what the electrician says..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Electrician just left, bad GFCI! He put one off the truck in for now and getting a Pentair or Siemens QF220A as I saw the threads about the VS pumps being picky.

Very happy it wasn't a pump replacement

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.