Intelliflo not priming all the way

champ767

Nov 15, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
I've had my pool-spa for 20+ years. I use the spa almost every night. I switched over to an intelliflo pump, controller 5 years ago. It's worked great except for the alexa function that disengages for some reason after it's added as a skill.

In the last 6 months, the pump will sometimes not prime all the way especially for the pool at the higher rpms 3500. It's better with the spa 3800, but the spa will also have the issue. The typical auto valves, com air, switch between the pool and spa for use. The pump will keep running, but the basket on the pump will never catch up and fill.

The spa is closer to pump compared to the pool intakes which are another 20 ft away. If I use my phone and switch quickly between spa and pool or pool and spa the pump will typically prime all the way. Some times I need to do this 3 or 4 times

- the level of the pool and hot tub are remaining the same. There doesn't seem to be leakage between the valves...
- I've tried cleaning the filter same issue
- Why would the both the spa and pool have issue with clear intakes... This seems to be an intermittent issue. It doesn't happen every time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Maximum RPM should be 3450. Are you saying that your pump goes up to 3800 RPM?

What is the current filter pressure and what is it after it is cleaned? (full speed)

A pump basket that doesn't fill all the way on high speed is usually caused by either suction side leak, impeller clog or suction pipe clog. The last two are usually identified with a lower than normal filter pressure.

Last edited:
What model number IntelliFlo pump are we discussing?

Is your pump and equipment pad above ot below the water level by how much?

Do you control the pump from its control panel or an automation system?

Mark, Thanks for responding to me. I wanted to try a few things, but still having the same issue. I made a typo and the rpm should be 2500 for the pool and 2800 for spa. It's always been the same for the last 20 years. The pressure is 20 psi before the filter is cleaned and usually drops down to 15 or 16 after being cleaned. The spa psi is higher. I took the pump apart today and replaced the seals. I couldn't get the impeller off to replace but it looked fine. I also cleaned the filter again but it wasn't that dirty. I still have the same issue. Spa will prime better than the pool. I've also tried switching the valve on the pool from the drain to the side basket. No difference...

Last edited by a moderator:
What model number IntelliFlo pump are we discussing?

Is your pump and equipment pad above ot below the water level by how much?

Do you control the pump from its control panel or an automation system?
Hi Allan, Thanks for responding. I got a little busy. Here's the model

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower,​

It's worked great for 6 years.
The base of the pump is at the pool waterline.
I use my phone to switch to the spa. The system is automated with automatic valve motors.

Post pics of your equipment pad. Especially your pool/spa suction valve.

I suspect you may have leaking O rings in the suction diverter valve that is giving you an air leak.

Allen, Here are the pics. Let me know if you need to see another view. I had changed out the valves about a year ago. I usually change them every 3 to 4 years. I went back to the invoice and I realized that I hadn't bought oem pentair valves. I've ordered new valves. I'd like to completely change out the valve housing too, but as you can see in the pics, the pool guy who reworked this system 20 years ago didn't give me a lot to work with.

What are your thoughts...

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 13
Looks like the new OEM valves on both intake and outtake fixed the issue.

Glad you figured it out.

You confirmed why I always recommend OEM parts and not the less expensive copies.

We are all volunteers helping you. TFP is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit that is kept online by user donations. . Please consider donating at Support TFP!.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.