IntelliChlor only lasted two years

sharp7823

Jul 4, 2020
Central California
Not quite true.. The original system has to be installed by a "professional" and then the replacement cell can be installed by the home owner..
You're correct; according to the website it says "Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator (without Power Center)".
The representatives that I have spoken to have stated "60 days" and pass me on to the warranty department where the phone is never answered.
Sorry, hope I am not hijacking this thread. I am frustrated that this cell lasted less than 2 years. I got 6 years out of my previous one.

Sharp,

Most cell last 5 to 7 years, so two years is odd.

Tell us about why you think your cell is bad. It could be, no doubt, but about 75% of reported SWCG failures are not really the cell at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My last cell lasted 6 years. This year when I added salt I noticed that the salt level reading was about half of my Taylor kit reading and cell light was not on lit.
I replaced the flow switch twice - first with after market and second time with pentair switch. I also ran diagnostics on the swg by holding the "more" button down for 5 seconds. None of the lights lit up showing the life of the cell.
I called Pentair and spent an hour or more on the phone trouble shooting and by the end of the call they told me it's a bad cell and not covered under warranty because I installed it myself.
Yesterday, after almost 2 1/2 hours on hold, I got to the second level of support from Pentair and they wanted to see a water sample test from a pool company. I got that this morning, the results of which are:
FC = 6.32 (high according to them)
PH = 7.9
Total Alk = 15* - there is a note that this "was adjusted due to the effect of CYA on tested Total Alkalinity." Whatever that means.
Cal Hardness - 309
CYA = 91
Iron & Copper = 0
Phosphates = 708
Salt = 3700

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Since it has been a while, I wanted to update this post with the resolution I received from Pentair. After sending in my pool store test results as requested by Pentair (see previous post), I received an email back that said they were sending a new unit out under warranty. It arrived while I was on vacation but finally installed it last week and it is working great!
Looking back, I wish I would have pressed the Pentair representatives harder for warranty service early on, as I was being told the warranty period was 60 days instead of 2 years. Getting through to the second level of phone support was the key to getting it replaced.
Not sure why this only lasted 2 years, but I am thinking of removing the new one during winter and using the old one as a dummy cell.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.