Intellichlor IC15 suggestions

May 14, 2018
Toronto
Hi there,

IC15 installed in 2016 by previous homeowner. Trouble free since we’ve got the house 5 years ago except for a flow switch replacement here and there.

My annual maintenance of cell was to spray it out with a garden hose end of season. Never really accumulated any crust and never had a need to acid wash (my opinion since I understand this can shorten lifespan of cell).

Two weeks ago the inspect cell light started blinking. Right before a weekend full of parties. Didn’t have the stand to acid wash it (there was some white crud on it when inspected) so just added liquid chlorine until the stand came.

Acid washed it this weekend. A but if bubbling. After concluded the cell was squeaky clean visually. Put it back in and after 5 minutes inspect cell came up again.

Salt in pool is good. Flow is good. The lights that tell me how many service hours have been used show 60%.

Is my cell done just because of age? Anything else to suggest before I drop a thousand bucks on a new one?

And bonus question: if I just bought liquid chlorine and added weekly as needed, would that be an alternative to get me through the season or until a potential discount/sale on a new cell?

I'm no expert but also have an IC15 installed by our pool builder (14,000 in-ground pool). We're going on our 7th year with the cell and the green "check cell" light just started blinking. I believe the cell has reached the end of its life. My guess is your cell is also dead based on number of years you've had it. As for adding chlorine manually, I am adding it DAILY. I don't believe you'll be able to maintain good water chemistry if you do it weekly.

Reactions: mfizzle
M,

I consider the usage indicator to be a "Wild Guess"... :mrgreen:

And even if it were accurate, I have yet to see an IntelliChlor that had a flashing Cell light, when the cell was clean, that was not used up. Sometimes you can reinstall the cell and it will work for an hour or several days, but soon the light will be back to flashing. When the cell light is flashing it is not making chlorine.

To be honest, I am surprised it lasted as long as it has. We recommend a cell be 2 x the volume of your pool. I suspect that you have been adding weekly bags of pool store shock..

Thanks,

Jim R.

M,

I consider the usage indicator to be a "Wild Guess"... :mrgreen:

And even if it were accurate, I have yet to see an IntelliChlor that had a flashing Cell light, when the cell was clean, that was not used up. Sometimes you can reinstall the cell and it will work for an hour or several days, but soon the light will be back to flashing. When the cell light is flashing it is not making chlorine.

To be honest, I am surprised it lasted as long as it has. We recommend a cell be 2 x the volume of your pool. I suspect that you have been adding weekly bags of pool store shock..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think you might be talking about the other poster (Re:size of the SWG).

Our pool is pretty small- 7500 gallons- and I think the general rule is get an SWG double the capacity right?

End of day just bought the new cell. Here’s to hoping the new one lasts 7 years too!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.