Intellichem best dosing / timing recommendations

Sep 29, 2023
Orange County CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I realize TFP isn’t in love with Intellichem. I happen to be very content with it as it manages my ORP and acid pretty well and I still get to be hands-on as much as I want (and I can monitor levels throughout the day and even manually dose if I want).

I believe one key difference why it’s working well for me is I do not have an intellichlor SWG. I do have the UV Bioshield and so far have been able to keep chlorine levels pretty low with crystal clear water because of it.

However - I am still trying to figure out maximal mixing and dosing of chlorine for my 11k gallon pool and spa:

Pool Service folks had chlorine mixing for 1 minute, probe reading immediately after and then dispensing about an ounce until set point of 670 orp was reached). Pentair didn’t understand that approach, so they had me try out dosing 8 ounces every 20 minutes. Of course with the ‘sensitivity setting’ enabled, rarely is 8 full ounces dispensed as only partial dosing is dispensed with sensitivity (as readings get closer to the set point, less and less is dispensed).

The pool service settings didn’t seem to allow any mixing time for cl to spread in the water and for Intellichem probes to interpret valid updated readings for the pool as a whole (1 minute isn’t enough)- but it seems like that setting kept ORP around 670-730 nicely. Surely this is somewhat a wide range.

Pentair’s recommendation is working out relatively ok, but it takes a little while for chlorine to reach the set point of 670 since it’s only dosing every 20 minutes. (It does get there, just takes a little longer and the range is a bit slimmer- maybe 660-690.

Any suggestions on fine tuning my mixing time and dosage for chlorine? Maybe set mixing and probe reading to every 15 mins??

(Acid settings seem to be fine by the way)

Also, somewhat related- in the manual, there is ‘mixing time’ and there is also a ‘doser/probe’ delay. I do not understand what the latter is for and Pentair’s explanation of it is basically the same as ‘mixing time’. Does anyone have an idea about this?

I think you are going to need to experiment and determine what setting works best with your pool environment.

There are many variables in play that are unique to a pool such as return and skimmer setup for chemical mixing and pump speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.