Intellicenter with pool, spa, valve delay not turning pump back on

jdramm

Jul 4, 2023
Virginia
Pool Size
Hi,

I have a pool and spa, separate bodies of water, using shared equipment.

It's all controlled by Intellicenter with the i8PS personality module. The pump is a Pentair VSF, with RS485 control. The pump is always powered, and speed is controlled by the Intellicenter.

The Intellicenter doesn't seem to handle switching bodies correctly.

Here's what I've tested / observed.

WITH valve delay
Moving from pool to spa works, but the pump runs during the 'valve delay' period.
Moving from spa to pool does NOT work. The pump is set to 0 speed immediately after the move from spa (which I think is correct) but does not get started once the valve delay completes.
In this 'stopped' state, the app shows the pump is meant to be on and running the pool.
If I turn the pool off and back on, the pump starts.

WITHOUT valve delay
Moving from spa to pool or from pool to spa works. Pump remains running.

The problem is that I need the valve delay to stop my spa overflowing. Each transition pushes a bit of pool water into the spa if the pump runs during that period.

Anyone else seen this, or know how to address it?

I have NOT tried powering the pump off the filter relay, as I'm trying to avoid all the 'lost communication' alarms (and it shouldn't be necessary).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

Welcome to TFP.

What version of firmware in the IntelliCenter are you running?

Did your system ever work correctly? When was it installed?

Welcome to TFP.

What version of firmware in the IntelliCenter are you running?

Did your system ever work correctly? When was it installed?
Hi, thank you for the welcome.

Running 2.006.

It's a new (fall 2022) install. I would say it's never worked correctly. The installer (who, for various reasons, we're no longer working with) didn't seem that familiar with the set-up. There were other schedules masking this. It's on a 'bare bones' schedule at the moment.

I haven't tried with no schedules and only changing it over manually. Currently there's a schedule to run the pool filter 23x7, and two schedules that run the spa for a couple of hours in the morning and evening. They seem to override the pool schedule.

Just for info, here's a screenshot with the pool pump 'running' but not actually running, and the same photo with it genuinely running.

1688575706554.jpeg
1688575843647.jpeg
And these are the schedules:
1688575924370.jpeg
Thanks!

2.006 has been bug ridden and Pentair pulled it from release.

2.017 came out last month. I would update your panel to 2.017 and see how things work.

Pentair was supposed to begin pushing OTA updates of 2.017 this month.

Reactions: MyAZPool
That worked! Will monitor, but on a quick test it behaved exactly as I expected -- switching bodies, the pump goes to zero, the valves move and the 30s timer counts down, then the pump starts up again.

Can I ask a follow up question? My intellichlor and heater are currently tied to the 'filter' relay -- which means that I get 'comms' errors about them during the valve change-over. Is it OK to wire those two to be permanently 'on' (on the same breaker as the main pump)? Both are communicating using RS485 with the intellicenter.

Heater can be permanently ON and wired to LINE side of the filter pump relay.

IntelliChlor needs to be powered OFF when the pump is not on and needs to be wired to the LOAD side of the relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.