jcastillo91

Dec 30, 2022
Houston, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm thinking of adding a stenner pump to automate adding muriatic acid to my pool, and am wondering if I can use my Intellicenter to accomplish this. I have a GFCI switch on the side of the control panel that I could purchase a wifi timer for, but would prefer to tie it into my existing pool automation if possible. My setup is as follows (adding a picture as well, but the wiring is so messy that I'm not sure how much it helps):

120V 20A Breaker (Top)
Load wired to control panel transformer, and to the line of the GFCI outlet.

240V 20A Breaker (Middle)
Load wired to both heater and primary pump, and to line of aux1 relay.

240V 20A Breaker (Bottom)
Load wired to lines of aux2 relay, which are "daisy chained" to lines of filter relay, which are daisy chained to water feature pump.

Filter relay
Nothing coming out of the load ends, and is just a connection point between the water feature pump and aux2 relay line wires.

aux1 relay
Load ends wired to booster pump.

aux2 relay
Load ends wired to air blower.

aux3 relay
Line end fed by GFCI load, and daisy chained to aux4 relay's line end. Load end wired to pool lights.

aux4 relay
Line end fed by aux3 relay. Load end wired to spa lights.

I'm no electrician, but my initial thought is that the aux4 relay could be free'd up by running both the pool and spa lights off a single relay and have them turn on and off together.

Attachments

• 2BF40AC1-6C06-4637-859D-D71906C47967.jpeg
    2BF40AC1-6C06-4637-859D-D71906C47967.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 15
  • D9A4C852-BFA9-4CC4-9358-75DA6557F30E.jpeg
    D9A4C852-BFA9-4CC4-9358-75DA6557F30E.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 14
I'm no electrician, but my initial thought is that the aux4 relay could be free'd up by running both the pool and spa lights off a single relay and have them turn on and off together.
Correct. Then use Aux4 to control the Stenner.

Just curious, if my water feature pump is always hot (240v breaker -> aux2 relay line ends -> filter relay line ends -> water feature pump), could the water feature pump be pigtailed to the breaker load wires to free up the filter relay?My understanding is that the relay’s purpose is to close the circuit between the line and load ends, but if the load ends aren’t connected to anything then the relay isn’t doing anything useful?

That is correct. If you have something wired to just the Line, you could wire that to any relay Line or straight to a breaker. Be sure the loads you are placing on each breaker/relay are within spec.

My main pump (11.2amps), heater (??amps), and booster pump (6.5amps) are sharing a 240V 20amp Pentair breaker. I read that a breaker shouldn’t have more than 80% (16amps) so I guess the PB/Inspector are assuming that they’ll never be drawing full load at the same time?

My other Pentair breaker has the water feature pump (10.1amps) and blower (4.2amps) on it which is within normal range. I also don’t run either one very often.

I’m thinking I could power the Stenner pump off either the second breaker (one relay load side only) or the 120V breaker that’s powering the control panel, gfci switch (unused), and lights. Is either option better than the other?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.