Integrating Intermatic 300w Light Transformer with a Hayward Omni VS System via Smart Relay

saysthereader

May 5, 2024
FL
Hi Folks,

I am at the tail end of my Omni VS install and I am now ready to deploy the Smart Relay to control my pool light which sits behind an Intermatic 300 Watt Light Transformer.

In the attached pictures, the right side of the Intermatic is heading to the pool light. The left side has both the 240 power supply and a physical on/off switch tied in with each other. I would like to take the physical switch out of the equation and replace it with the Smart Relay. The conduit closest to the camera on the left goes to the on/off switche. The conduit in the back, farthest from the camera is the power supply.

I am also including the link to the instructions and wiirng diagram of the smart relay.

Any advice you good folks can provide on how to wire the Smart relay properly to the transformer would be geratly apprecited. If I need another part or if I need to replace the transformer completely, please feel free to suggest the specifics. That said, if I can make it work with just the transformer and Smart Relay, I would prefer it.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Attachments

• full transformer.jpg
    full transformer.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 9
  • left side power supply and on_off switch to transformer .jpg
    left side power supply and on_off switch to transformer .jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 11
  • left side power supply and on_off switch to transformer 2 .jpg
    left side power supply and on_off switch to transformer 2 .jpg
    294 KB · Views: 11
  • right side transformer to pool light.jpg
    right side transformer to pool light.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 9
  • trasnformer wiring diagram.jpg
    trasnformer wiring diagram.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 10
  • smart relay wiring.png
    smart relay wiring.png
    424.6 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to TFP.

The Smart Relay replaces the ON/OFF switch. Show us where that is and the wiring from and to the switch.

I got this to work and no it is not straight forward at all. Just in case someone in the future searches this, here is how it works.

1) The intermatic is 120 NOT 230. Unfortunetly the wires Hayward preloads into the whip are Red/Black/Green when in this case you want them to be White/Black/Red, but that's ok (though not code)
2) In the smart relay box, On the relay, cap off RED and RED/WHITE, they are not needed
3) BLACK/WHITE off the relay gets connected to RED in the whip
4) BLACK off the relay gets connected to BLACK in the whip
5) GRAY off the relay gets connected to GREEN in the whip
6) Now inside the transformer, RED from the whip gets connected to the BLACK OR BLUE OR YELLOW cable coming off the transformer itself. Only one of those cables will be already connected when you open your transformer. Per the instructions written on the transformer cover BLACK= 12v, BLUE=14v, YELLOW=13v. Choose according to the power requirements of your pool light if this is a new install.
7) BLACK from the whip gets connected to the LINE IN cable coming from your power source (in my case it was a junction box further up the circuit)
8) GREEN from the whip gets connected to neautral pigtail that already exists inside the transformer, in my case several white cables.

Close the box being sure your low voltage stays in their compartment and high voltage stays in their compartment and Wa' Laaa!

Attachments

• wiring intermatic.png
    wiring intermatic.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
8) GREEN from the whip gets connected to neautral pigtail that already exists inside the transformer, in my case several white cables.

I am pretty sure any green wires should go to the ground bar and not to neutrals.

I am pretty sure any green wires should go to the ground bar and not to neutrals.
Not how the Smart relay works. There is no ground in the relay. Trust me I spent 2 hours trial and error till I got everything to work. In this case color doesnt mean a thing. If anyone really wants to be code compliant, go to big box store and spend money to get new cables with the right colors. If you just want to make it work with what they sell you in the kit, follow my instructions to the T assuming you have an Intermatic 300 and a Hayward smart relay. Good luck to those of you in the future that find this post!