t0mmck

May 27, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All - I'm getting tired of buying and storing the chlorine tabs that my pool builder started me off using when my pool was built a year ago. I have the TF-100 test kit and have noticed my CYA levels creeping up near 100 which I don't like. I'm considering retrofitting a SWG into my pool, but have some questions about it.

My pool uses Hayward equipment (VS pump, heater, Omnilogic automation) and is approximately 9000 gallons including the spa. I also have a Paramount in-floor cleaning system. I reviewed the plumbing situation and there doesn't seem to be a convenient place to install the SWG other than on the pipe feeding the in-floor cleaning system. I understand that installing the SWG on that pipe means it won't chlorinate the pool if I shut off the in-floor, but it's on 99.9% of the time. Would it be a bad idea to install a Hayward AquaRite on this pipe?

swg_install_question.jpg

I'm also curious how big of a cell I should get. The T-Cell 3 says it's good for up to 15,000gal and my pool is about 9,000gal. However, I've seen on the forums you should oversize the cell. I also live in the Phoenix area, so the pump will run 365 days/year for 8-12 hours a day at various speeds. Would you recommend oversizing further and getting the T-Cell 9 rated for 25,000gal?

Any other advice for someone considering a DIY install of a SWG like this?

Thanks in advance!

I beleive the outflow on the hayward heater is the back port. Do you have ~10" between it and the wall?
Cut the heater outflow after the elbow
Rotate 90° upward
Pipe up to 2 sweep 90° back down
90 to bring it horizontal
90 back into the pipe going underground

Give you ability to have generation on both pool amd spa mode. You can go high enough vertical to Give sufficient room.
For az size the swg to 2-3x pool size so the 25k Gallon should be min

Attachments

• swg_install_question~2.jpg
    swg_install_question~2.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 18
@Ahultin Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely stick to the 25k gallon minimum. Is there a downside to going too big on the cell?

Yes, I could probably install it that way. Is there a reason I would want the SWG to run when in spa mode? It's only in that mode when I'm actively using the spa - an hour or so from time to time. The install manual for the AquaRite suggests plumbing it in a way that it won't run in spa mode to avoid overchlorination of the much smaller body of water. I could probably avoid the overchlorination by installing the cell as you suggest but installing the flow sensor in the return for the in-floor. But at that point, wouldn't it be simpler to just install the cell and the flow sensor there? That would avoid the need to add new plumbing and several new 90 degree bends. I'd just cut into existing plumbing. This would essentially be a variation of option 3 from the manual below, but instead of it being on the pool return it's on the in-floor return. In my case, they're the same thing 99% of the time.

Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 9.58.11 PM.png

Is there a downside to going too big on the cell?
Nope as you can dial down the output percentage as needed.

I'm on pentair and don't know the omnilogic automation. On my pentair i can set a separate swg output % for pool mode and spa mode. When there are lots of sweaty nasty bodies soaking in the way human soup, I want some chlorine output 🤢

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.