Installing a Hayward WM skimmer into a 20' Intex

Jun 18, 2016
Greenville SC
So I ordered a skimmer to install and ready to do that today. The pool is about knee deep so the liner is tight and wrinkle free. It's my understanding that I need to cut the "butterfly" gasket in half? As in cut it to where I have (2) rectangles correct? One goes on the outside and one goes on the inside? I assume if the pool had metal sides then you would cut the hole first then install the gasket as it is in one piece. But with it being a soft side pool I need to cut the gasket, install the housing and then cut the liner? Correct? Just checking before I mess something up and have to re-order and wait longer....of course family is ready to swim today but still have more work to get done....

Since the pool is not filled, there is no need to cut the gasket. But it is easier to cut the liner with the skimmer mounted. Mount the skimmer without gasket, Cut the liner, remove skimmer, install gasket and then install skimmer permanently. Or go ahead an cut the gasket if you prefer. Both methods work just fine.

The reason people cut the gasket is to be able to install skimmer in full pool, then cut the liner when skimmer is installed. All to avoid draining pool to below skimmer and then refill.

Well it is about half full of water. If I cut first will it not stretch? Sorry...I've read a lot of the old threads and trying to ask as few questions as I can but this is like cutting hair...you can always take a little more off but you can't put it back on once you've cut it.

Ok the skimmer has been mounted in and liner cut. New problem is I don't know how to tie in the hose from the skimmer to the new Intex pump. The sizes don't match. Don't know where the shut off valve would go either. The male threads on the bottom of the skimmer is way larger than the female nut the plastic hose to the pump/filter. Ideally I guess hard plumbing is the way to go but trying to wing it with what we have for now.

Nice job chayne! I considered hard plumbing it but I made it all work with what I had. This pool had dual inlets for the pump so that shut off valve is useless to me now. I took the one for the return and put it on the inlet to the pump so at least I have a shut off there. Will have to source another one to put on the return later. As far as the skimmer I jammed the fitting for the skimmer into the new hose that came with the new sand pump and used plumber's putty. Seems to be holding for now. Hopefully it gets through the summer and I'll hard plumb it all next spring. For the skimmer install I cut the butterfly gasket and then cut the hole after mounting the housing up. Then I had a leak lol! Thought I would have to get a new gasket but wife cranked down on the bottom screws some more and it's not leaking now. I did at least lay down some pavers for the new sand filter. Have about 1-2 more inches to fill then I can backwash the new filter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.