Installed new variable speed Pentair today but. . .

Ron44

Gold Supporter
Jul 16, 2017
Dunlap, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I replaced a 1.5hp 2 speed Haywood after the bearings went out for the third time. I installed (DIY) a Pentair Superflo (342001) and it is now running. However, I have a pressure side Polaris 360 cleaner and it seems that the pump is not powering it adequately at the highest default speed of 3000. When I pick the Polaris out of the water it is obvious that the water flow from the rear nozzel is much less than with the Haywood. It does seem to do better at the Pentair's 'self priming' speed of 3450. The Haywood had no problem moving the Polaris around on its high setting. Anyway, I am wondering if I can set one of the variable speeds higher than 3000 - the speeds and timing of each speed is customizable - or if there would be issues with doing that. The manual does not address setting it above the highest default speed- the default speeds are 3000, 2200 and 1400).

OR, will this pump work better with a suction side cleaner. I have had the Polaris for 20+ years and with all the new parts and rebuilds it is sort of like new but a cleaner is so essential that I am willing to change if it makes sense. BTW: pool size is 36 L x 18 W by 4' at each end sloping to the middle at about 5 feet plus. Anyway. . . otherwise, pump seems fine and easy to manage the controls, but I am wondering about this issue, and over all power for filter and cleaner. (Filter is a quad 60 sq foot cartridge unit).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Ron

At 3000 or 3450 rpm, your new pump should be pushing more water than the old 2 speed. So that's interesting and a bit confounding.
Is it possible the filter is dirty/plugged? Or a valve not fully opened?

Typically - we recommend running the VSP at the lowest possible rpm, to engage the most electrical savings.
If you do have to run at full speed of the pump, you're looking at 2.5 kWh or so. With your electricity costs in CA, a robot would pay for itself in the first year, I would think. Maybe consider replacing the pressure side?

You should be able to adjust one of the speed settings to 3450 RPM and run the pump at its max speed.

Set the program in the VS pump to run at that high speed at the same time your Polairs is running and then run at a lower speed after the cleaning is over.

The Superflo VS pump is a 1.5 HP pump and at max RPM shoudl give the same performance as your 1.5HP 2 Speed Hayward pump did at high speed.

At 3000 or 3450 rpm, your new pump should be pushing more water than the old 2 speed. So that's interesting and a bit confounding.
Is it possible the filter is dirty/plugged? Or a valve not fully opened?

Typically - we recommend running the VSP at the lowest possible rpm, to engage the most electrical savings.
If you do have to run at full speed of the pump, you're looking at 2.5 kWh or so. With your electricity costs in CA, a robot would pay for itself in the first year, I would think. Maybe consider replacing the pressure side?
Reggie, Thank you for responding. All the valves are fully opened and the filter should be clean but I will check and do a total cleaning of that on Sunday when I am free - a good first suggestion - always consider the simplest things first. Btw, the suggestion for a robot cleaner is intriguing. I will look into those - see what is recommended and best for my circumstances. I see there are corded, battery operated, and wi-fi features and more. I doubt I would go for the wi-fi etc features, but will check out corded vs battery. If I go with a robotic cleaner I assume I would just use the valve to shut off the pressure plumbing now dedicated to the Polaris. We have solar so the electricity costs might be covered, but I don't like to waste electricity anyway, so your suggestion about running at lower speeds makes sense. Again, thank you.

Here's your one-stop shop for robotic cleaners. Best prices ($100's cheaper), friends of the site, and will not steer you wrong. Many stories of Margaret or Seth convincing people to spend less on a cleaner, than they originally thought, based on their expertise and recommendations about your pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Here's your one-stop shop for robotic cleaners. Best prices ($100's cheaper), friends of the site, and will not steer you wrong. Many stories of Margaret or Seth convincing people to spend less on a cleaner, than they originally thought, based on their expertise and recommendations about your pool.

Thank you. I will check this out. We will be shutting the pool down for the season soon and during our off season it is covered so I have to give some thought to whether to get a robotic cleaner now or wait until next Spring. Likely prices may be better at the end of a swim season than at the beginning. Appreciate the link.

11 years ago got rid of the Polaris after we had the pool resurfaced and decking upgraded to travertine. Bought a TurboT robot which lasted 9.5yrs and bought another to replace it when the pump died. Left all the plumbing in place for the polaris, but I can't see ever going back.

The Polaris wore the edge of the steps where the TurboT hasn't caused any wear on the plaster. The suction on the TurboT is a lot better than the Polaris and the bag holds more leaves. All the suction pulls debris into the bag which seems better than having a tail resuspending stuff in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.