Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The pool service for our HOA is recommending $280 dollars worth of chemicals to put in our pool when we open. These include Rust and Scale Remover, Combat 60 (algaecide), Pool Magic Spring, and Stabilizer. We have a 60k gallon pool and the water is refilled each year. Do we really need any of these chemicals.... other than the stabilizer (about $55)?

On a new fill, some use sequestering agent that prevents stains and scaling on pool surfaces that are caused by metals in the fill water. If the pool is clean before filling, then standard chlorine will kill bacteria so algaecide is not needed. Stabilizer for sure is needed as you indicated. It seems they have a set plan regardless of how the pool water looks.

Reactions: Newdude
Do you know the quality of the fill water and are you willing to deal with any issues during the season?

A pool company does not know what they are dealing with in any specific pool and they don’t want call backs for problems during the season. So they dump in chemicals that are often not needed just in case.

Rust and Scale Remover - if your fill water has no iron and pool has no scale then this is unnecessary
Combat 60 (algaecide) - if the water is from a municipal source and already has a low level of chlorine in it and you immediately raise the FC level then it is unnecessary
Pool Magic Spring - these are enzymes that are unnecessary with high quality fill water

Go without the magic potions for a year and see if any problems crop up. Then you learn what specifics need to be done for your pool.

Reactions: Newdude
On a new fill, some use sequestering agent that prevents stains and scaling on pool surfaces that are caused by metals in the fill water. If the pool is clean before filling, then standard chlorine will kill bacteria so algaecide is not needed. Stabilizer for sure is needed as you indicated. It seems they have a set plan regardless of how the pool water looks.
Yes.... I think it is one size fits all and I'm not entirely sure I can get them to change their ways and eliminate these unnecessary chemicals, but I can try. The pool is drained and power washed each year before filling. I always make sure the liquid chlorine gets in there right after the fill and keep it on the high side while the water is warming up during the week before use. Thanks.

Rust and Scale Remover - if your fill water has no iron and pool has no scale then this is unnecessary
Combat 60 (algaecide) - if the water is from a municipal source and already has a low level of chlorine in it and you immediately raise the FC level then it is unnecessary
Pool Magic Spring - these are enzymes that are unnecessary with high quality fill water
Our water supply is from the city.... high quality Lake Michigan water. You've confirmed for me that these chemicals are unnecessary, except for the stabilizer. Question is.... will the pool company eliminate them if I ask them to. Probably doubtful, but I can try. Thanks.

Question is.... will the pool company eliminate them if I ask them to. Probably doubtful, but I can try.
It may be part of the opening package and not credited. But I'm sure they will not add them if you ask and double charge someone else for the same supplies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.