Inground Total Redo - Going For Broke!

We used polymeric sand everywhere. I really like it but I don't think it was properly applied. The guys didn't water and cure it according to the instructions. When it rained it would run off into the pool. So, we grouted the outside vertical edges of the coping and a little under the overhang. It is much better.

We have a ton of shade in the yard and some mossy stuff tries to grow in certain areas of the paved surround. I spray it with Roundup every now and then. Overall pretty happy with the pavers.

Sometimes the idiots you hire can only handle so much yelling at them. We were glad things weren't worse. I think somewhere on here I said if you're having this much done to your pool then you need to be available to watch nearly everything they are doing.

If I had paid 30% higher then MAYBE it would have been different.

Thanks so much for the response to my question. I have seen it done with sand and with grout. I am a little concerned that the belgard pavers are not really designed for coping and may eventually separate from the mortar, so it seems grout will provide some added stability. Another contractor recommended that I only set in mortar with no sand or grout. I am a bit torn.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dddsbd said:
Thanks so much for the response to my question. I have seen it done with sand and with grout. I am a little concerned that the belgard pavers are not really designed for coping and may eventually separate from the mortar, so it seems grout will provide some added stability. Another contractor recommended that I only set in mortar with no sand or grout. I am a bit torn.

We have Belgard pavers and coping in Travertine. They have an outlet right behind my work so I have talked to them directly on the coping and pavers. They definitely have higher end materials.

What coping material did you go with?

The coping should be mortared to the beam of the pool if you went with pavers as your deck.

There are a couple of types of polymeric sand. One has an organic base (plant) that gets soft when exposed to water. The benefit is it is self healing and doesn't crack. The other is a concrete type that can crack, but it doesn't soften or dissolve. If they used the concrete based Polymeric sand it's better that the organic type for coping. Both don't have the robustness of grout.

Our Belgard coping was set in mortar and grouted. It is holding up just fine after one season...we don't have frost in CA so the wear and tear is less than other places...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.