Inground Steps Backfill

DTechno

Jun 1, 2023
South Carolina
Sorry if this isnt the appropriate forum - My wife and I recently bought a home with a 22k gal inground vinyl liner salt pool. Today, I was stepping into the pool and my heel sunk down a little on the step. I pressed down in the same area with my hands and the soil (? Maybe sand?) Compressed slightly. I kept pushing around and stopped because the area that got compressed was around 24x4 inches.

Is this "normal"? For some reason I was thinking that steps were formed from fiberglass or concrete underneath the liner. There is now a visible dip in that spot and I'm concerned that the whole step is structurally compromised.
The pool is about 5 years old. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Welcome to TFP. Sorry to be meeting in this way. I am guessing your steps are vinyl covered. If so they might have not filled in the underside properly or it could have washed out over time. Either way I would avoid stepping in that area as much as possible.

Some vinyl covered steps are made using a steel frame and filled with dirt/sand packed in around dirt bags to fill in the bigger spaces. If there were fiberglass steps you would know it as they would be white or gray.

Thanks, TFP is a neat community. Theres a whole lot of really helpful informayion on here.

They are vinyl covered, you're correct. Do you think that washout like that happens because of a small hole in the liner? Or maybe just ground water finding its way? I haven't noticed the water level lowering any more than normal evaporation.

I suppose I'll wait to fix it until we need to replace the liner one day. Maybe I'll find a foam pad to put over it in the meantime.

I would think the hole would be much worse if there were a hole in that area. It could be the ground water finding a way in.

I would not put a pad of any kind over it as that could become an algae farm after a while. It you want to "mark" that area to keep people off of it you could ask for a sample of vinyl that is in contrast to your liner and put in on that area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.