Aug 25, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,
We are going on vacation soon and are trying to prepare our Inground pool for 14 days away. The pool chemicals are great and no problems so far this summer. It’s heated to 88deg normally and our hot summer days (86deg) and cool summer nights (59deg) have made evaporation a real concern while away in regards to pool skimmer level. We add about 3/4” of water daily and a bit more of it was a busy splashing day :) Our plan is to: turn off the heater or set to 65deg, remove the solar cover, shock the pool the evening before, close off the skimmer return and we have a pool person come once while we are gone (middle of the 14 days) to maintain the pool. Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything we are overlooking?
Thanks in advance 👍

Why are you closing off the skimmer return?

If you chlorinate the pool with your tab feeder and have a pool person coming to restock it then just let it all run normally.

Do you have a main drain? You could adjust you valve to just pull water from the drain whilst you’re gone. That at least keeps the water moving and you in-line FC feeder running.

Yes I have 2 main drains. The pump and feeder will still run without the skimmer pulling water if it’s off. In the last month I had to add water every 2 days as it’s been super hot during the days and cool at night with constant breeze where the pool is. If I set the water at half way on the skimmer it would go low on the skimmer in 3-4 days. That’s with the heater on mind you. We haven’t had rain, and none in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. I don’t know what the difference in evaporation will be with the heater off while we are gone, hopefully less. Hence the anxiety about just letting the skimmer run unchecked level for 7 days until the pool company comes by to do their thing. It’s our first full summer with the pool, and first vacation since Covid, so haven’t been away from the pool for this long before. Just want to be safer than sorry…

What about a neighbor just to handle checking the water level while you’re gone? Though the timer above also seems like a good idea. Another idea is a camera so that you can check on it yourself while gone. Focus it in on something that will show the water level.

Im not sure why you’re shocking the pool given that you have a VSP and a SWG. Just let the system run while you are gone. Due to a health issue, my pool has sat a lot this year. The VSP has been running the entire time and my chlorine level has stayed right where I want it. I’d feel very comfortable leaving it on while away. I run the VSP on Medium and the electric draw is only 135 watts (just a bit more than a light bulb). Do you have the Hayward app to be able to run you equipment from your phone?

Love the water timer idea, I have automated water timers for my potted plants and sprinkler system in the front yard. I just never thought of applying that to the pool! 👌 None of my pool equipment is automated, only the lighting can be controlled via HomeKit. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Jrobertp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.