Inground pool poses huge safety concern

bluedove82 said:
When we looked at the work done I was a bit shocked at a bubbled up liner on the stairs?? Is this normal??

It doesn't seem normal to me. But I have no experience in this area. My liner pool was inherited with a house purchase and our steps are not lined (fiberglass steps). It seems to me that whoever installed that needs to get back there before the next loads of water arrive and fix it!

A pool fence and alarm are good ideas in your situation - particularly the alarm.

How are you planning to net off the shallow from the deep?

bluedove82 said:
Well, we talked to our pool guy and he said that he thinks it will smooth out when more water is put in. That doesn't seem right to me?

Has he seen the pictures? What's he willing to do if it doesn't?

UnderWaterVanya said:
bluedove82 said:
Well, we talked to our pool guy and he said that he thinks it will smooth out when more water is put in. That doesn't seem right to me?

Has he seen the pictures? What's he willing to do if it doesn't?

Didn't say. We meet with him Saturday...sounds like he left before the job was done. Because he didn't know that the guys didn't remove the old liner and cover from the yard.

We're getting a weighted net. He said he has one....I'll look into an alarm as we look for a skimmer and vacuum.

bluedove82 said:
We're getting a weighted net. He said he has one....I'll look into an alarm as we look for a skimmer and vacuum.

Check craigslist for the pool items... I've seen alarms here and plenty of cleaners.

bluedove82 said:
Melt In The Sun said:
I'd say the liner will probably look OK, given that the steps below the water level don't look like they have any wrinkles in them.

The bad news is today on closer look the last step under the water has wrinkles on it. That can't be good, right?
It seems suboptimal.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

How does the weighted net work? I worry more about someone getting tangled in the net than the depth in some ways - I assume it's tightly stretched and has a tight weave that keeps people from getting body parts caught? What weighs it down? How hard will it be to pass under it with effort? Is it going to be short of the edge so that someone swimming in the deep end can come over to the shallow ledge and use it to rest on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only have an idea how the net works. We do have a floating rope that is tightly across the pool seperating the shallow form the deep. There are floaties on the rope. The old owner left it behind. We had asked for a net to stop a child from going under the rope and our pool guy says that he has a weighted rope. So I imagine that will work. He said we can go in it because he added shock but I don't trust the stairs and dont want to add to the issue. Plus we need to get some sort of vacuum for the bottom. The old owner left a beaten up one behind but I doubt it works, not that we know how to even plug it in. Next summer we'll look into those robots but right now it's not even a possibility.

bluedove82 said:
Plus we need to get some sort of vacuum for the bottom. The old owner left a beaten up one behind but I doubt it works, not that we know how to even plug it in. Next summer we'll look into those robots but right now it's not even a possibility.

Vacuums are very simple mechanically - they have virtually no moving parts.

Here's a video about vacuuming an in ground vinyl pool:
[youtube:66bw6pmi]DpOfnNBZIzE[/youtube:66bw6pmi]

The vacuum head should have no wheels it should have brushes. Typically they are triangular not semi-circular in shape but any shape is fine - the key is brushes and a head that doesn't get stuck to the floor.

The video doesn't talk about a hose with a swivel but many are built that way. IF you have a swivel end on the hose it should be attached to the head not the skimmer. My hose does not have a swivel but my Vac head does. Either way works. If yours is dead or broken a new vac head can be purchased at at lowes or home depot for cheaper than at most pool stores (assuming they still have them in stock). The hose is more likely than the head to die btw...

If you don't have leaves and major debris on the floor you can remove the basket and adapter and just put the hose directly into the skimmer outlet on the floor of the skimmer and rely on the pump basket to catch anything too big for the impeller. Alternately they make a leaf cannister that can go inline on the vac hose to avoid overloading the basket.

In most cases you need to shut down or reduce flow to the main drain(s) to increase suction at the skimmer. If you have multiple skimmers you may need to reduce flow or turn off flow on all but the one you are vacumming from. If you have a 2 speed or variable pump you'll want it on a higher speed for this than you use for general filtering.

EDIT: With a 12 foot deep pool - you may need a longer pole than is standard. A 16' pole would be a challenge in a 12 foot deep pool as wide and long as yours.

Extremely helpful! Thank you. Ive seen those things there and actually found that long hose in the woods behind the pool (old owner wasn't much into upkeep). The only thing that doesn't look familiar is the plate, which is most likely important. There is already a buildup at the bottom so it needs a good vacuum. The filter isn't on yet either but I'm going to try and turn it on. We decided to fill up the remainder of the water ourselves. I'm hoping our pool guy put a new 'nest' in the filter system. I guess the old owner sold the one that's there?

bluedove82 said:
Extremely helpful! Thank you. Ive seen those things there and actually found that long hose in the woods behind the pool (old owner wasn't much into upkeep). The only thing that doesn't look familiar is the plate, which is most likely important. There is already a buildup at the bottom so it needs a good vacuum.

The plate is not required - it's useful - but not required. Without that plate you cannot use the basket in the skimmer and if any large debris is in the pool it could go into your underground lines and clog things. The plates are available at most big box stores and pool stores. Some have a 90 degree bend which is meant to allow you to hook up the hose through the skimmer door - either way works. You can also add a leaf cannister to the line which functions like a huge skimmer basket for leaves. In that case you wouldn't need the adapter plate.

If the hose was left outside unattended it may be filled with junk and/or have a leak. You may want to hook it to a return with the other end pointed outside the pool into the yard and make sure nothing nasty comes out. Then plug the other end with your hand (wear a bathing suit!) and if the pressure sprays out around your hand and there aren't sprays of water all along the hose it is probably worth trying.

bluedove82 said:
The filter isn't on yet either but I'm going to try and turn it on. We decided to fill up the remainder of the water ourselves. I'm hoping our pool guy put a new 'nest' in the filter system. I guess the old owner sold the one that's there?

If you have not already done so - please update your signature with the pool data as described here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

What type of pool filter is it? What do you mean by a "nest" in the filter system? Do you mean the pump basket? It looks like a skimmer basket but smaller - it's designed to protect the pump - don't operate without it.

Okay I think I filled in the missing information....sry about that.

I'll look for the plate because there is large debris and I don't want to mess up anything. Hope someone has it around here. Everyone seems to be packing up any pool equipment. Will shoot out the hose and hope for the best. Be nice not to have to buy another. I'm not sure what a nest is I just know that's what our pool guy said is missing. He said that many companies take the nest if they close the pool for a season?

bluedove82 said:
I'm not sure what a nest is I just know that's what our pool guy said is missing. He said that many companies take the nest if they close the pool for a season?

Your filter and pump and motors should have labels on them - take some pictures and post them. The filter in particular is going to say something on it that should help you determine what it is.

Here are a couple pictures of my setup:

PumpBasket.jpg

Pump Baskets can also be round. The key is that in front of the motor you should see a removable basket not just empty space. Also if the system was winterized - it's possible the drain plug was pulled and the pump basket is empty of water. Do not run the pump without first priming it (if you don't know if it is self priming) and without a basket.

Sand Filter Multiport:
Multiport.jpg

Sand Filter Label:
photobucket-2678-1341339534391.jpg

Diagram of my setup:
currentpadplumbing.jpg

You had asked earlier about lifejackets: IMO, the best jackets are made by Supersoft. You can find them on Amazon and Kidstoychest plus other places. They are vinyl and are very comfortable. We have purchased different sizes over the years (mainly for boating activities). They are not cheap, but they do not soak up water so no one has to put on a wet/cold jacket, and they shouldn't develop mold.

Sorry for the late reply. We've closed the pool up and for some reason they found the nest and it was a large object. Glad they found it because we didn't h ave to buy another. Here is a picture of our filter system. Same brand...

Attachments

• pool6 (640x480).jpg
    pool6 (640x480).jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 67
  • pool4 (480x640).jpg
    pool4 (480x640).jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 67
bluedove82 said:
Sorry for the late reply. We've closed the pool up and for some reason they found the nest and it was a large object. Glad they found it because we didn't h ave to buy another. Here is a picture of our filter system. Same brand...

Is the nest the white cylinder shown in picture number 1? If so that's more commonly called a strainer basket.

You also asked about running the filter while the pool is closed. The answer greatly depends on what they did at closing. Do you know if they blew out the lines? Did they lower the water below the returns and skimmer(s)? Did they remove the pump plug and filter plug and drain them?

EDIT: Based on where you are located I suspect that they did all the things I said above except for perhaps draining the pump and filter since those are indoors. If they did drain lines and lower water - you cannot run the pump/filter until you refill the pool and remove the plugs in those lines. Anytime your water is lower than say 60 degrees there is very little chance for algae to grow so this is not a big deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.