Inground pool leak driving me crazy

Propbndr

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Charles City, Va
I have a leak in a inground pool with a vinyl liner where I am losing up to a 1/2” to 3/4” of water per day the cannot be attributed to evaporation. Last fall during seasonal closing, I somehow put a hole in the liner while using a pool brush. Because of a lack of proper repair materials, I used Flex Seal Tape to try to close the hole. Well IMO, that stuff is garbage. Great if the surface is dry but, it does not stick well if the surface is wet. Anyway, I still have a leak somewhere. I used food coloring to detect leaks where I could and discovered I had some leaking cracks in one of the skimmer boxes which I sealed with marine epoxy putty. I have isolated the skimmer boxes by turning off the valve and sealing the opening. I still lost about 1/4“ to 3/8” over night in both the pool and skimmer box.
I still have to put a proper patch on the liner.
I am at a loss because of the equal overnight loss in the pool and isolated skimmer boxes. Any ideas where I can look next?

Hmm. My response to you did not post for some reason.

To answer your question, yes I finally found the leak. It was a previous patch that started leaking for some reason. The bottom of it started lifting. Because the original patch was made from left over liner (therefore thick), I could not put another patch over it. I lifted as much as I could, gave it a good cleaning, the injected some patch adhesive under it. Luckily the repair seems to have been successful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.