Inground Pool Insulation Options

bouds20

Sep 18, 2023
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Hi!

Currently installing a pool up in Sudbury, ON, and am wondering about options for insulation. I'm putting in a pool with 42" walls and a ~8 foot deep end. Because our ground conditions weren't the best, we dug down to bedrock (over excavated by about 5 feet all around in order to build up a good base for the walls to sit on) and then backfilled with Granular A and compacted very well. We will be digging out the form of the pool from this base and then putting down a thick layer of ground/Portland mix (3:1) as recommended by our pool supplier.

My question is: What have other people done (or what do people wish they'd done) for insulation around the base of the pool? My plan is to spray foam the outside of the steel walls as well as the lines running to the pump/heater, but what about the rest of it? Can you spray foam the granular before putting the grout/Portland down? Or spray foam over the grout/portland mix so the spray foam would be between it and the liner? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

When i'm talking 'spray foam' i'm talking the stuff that they come and spray onto your basement walls, etc, instead of using the pink insulation. I'm trying to figure out how to lose the less amount of heat through the base of the pool as possible. So while i'm building would obviously be the time.

When i'm talking 'spray foam' i'm talking the stuff that they come and spray onto your basement walls, etc, instead of using the pink insulation. I'm trying to figure out how to lose the less amount of heat through the base of the pool as possible. So while i'm building would obviously be the time.
I wouldnt put pink insulation outside or bury it for that matter. I believe there are spray foams that are used for pools that are waterproof. I also cant see it making a ton of difference as most of the heat will be lost through the water. Solar cover would be better.

Reactions: kimkats
Hey bouds and Welcome !!!

I'm trying to figure out how to lose the less amount of heat through the base of the pool as possible
I applaud the 'every little but helps', but you won't get an Rvalue that matters no matter which way you go IMO. The earth will be a constant 55 (?) degrees 3+ ft down and the single digit R-Value of any insulation won't make an appreciable difference. It's main purpose on the walls is as a cushion for the liner.

You also don't want moisture trapped between the liner and ground as algae/mold underneath can show though some liners.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.