Inground DIY build - parallelism tolerances?

JohnnyG66

Jul 7, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Greetings! I'm in the midst of a largely DIY inground pool build - 36x18' rectangle with 90 degree corners and using polymer walls. Will be getting a contractor to pour the collar next week so just double checking everything. I'm off just under 1" corner to corner - would need to shift by about 1/2" to square perfectly. It's going to be some work to do that as I've got it all staked in at this point. Sketchup tells me that's 0.3 degrees out from 90 degrees. Is that an acceptable variance or should I suck it up and square it?

I would weight the effort to square it up to what it would take to deal with it being out of square for what you plan of doing for patio around the pool. I don't think that little but out of square is an issue, but I don't build pools or install patios. I think the top of the pool walls level is equally important. if you have a border on your liner, it make out of level more apparent.

Appreciate the input! Good point about the decking. Will be using coping stones and could hide the difference pretty easily, I think. The walls are plumb and level for sure - had the 360 degree laser level in it yesterday doing the (hopefully!) final adjustments.

I'm struggling with this because I don't like imperfection in my work, but always remind myself that "perfect is the enemy of good"!

That little out of square will be easy to compensate for and you (and now us! :laughblue:) will be the only ones to notice. I would leave it alone.

Vertical level is FAR FAR more important. I would suggest your corners not be off vertically by much more than 1/4".

I built my pool and shot for that 1/4" variance........I came close enough to make it work but.....No cigar!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.