infinity edge trough redesign

Feb 10, 2013
Davie, Florida
We have to redesign the trough on our infinity edge pool. The pool (&house) was built in 2006 and is shaped like a hemicircle. I'm guessing around 18,000 gal. See photo below from 2013. The overflow trough is around 5 feet in width and has this structure made of iron I-beams with iron round support legs holding up this sidewalk. The sidewalk uses 4 feet x 4 feet concrete slabs (with iron rebars inside) lying on top of the iron I-beam support structure.

With time the iron I-beams and support legs have rusted through. Also the concrete slabs are breaking as the iron rebar in them corrodes. To get any pool toys that go into the trough, I have to swim in the trough underneath the 500lb+ concrete slabs which is a bit dangerous.

Also the concrete slabs with the 8" gaps between them are unsightly and difficult to walk on and are rough concrete. The rest of the pool deck is travertine faced.

I wanted to eliminate the slabs and the architect proposed building a new wall 13.8" (0.35 meters) from the pool wall. Thus the new trough will be only 13.8" wide. Using the calculated length of the trough and a ~2 foot fill depth I get a total trough volume of 823 gallons. I'm wondering if this is enough of a trough for this size of pool?

While unsightly and the concrete slabs are nasty, we've never had leveling or trough overflow problems of the right side.

Also the trough under the plastic side grate (left side of pool) has never worked. It has 2 drains but these were filled with concrete construction debris when built and have no flow. Can these be fixed somehow.

I've been quoted $18,000 to fix the pool right side trough problems but not to clear the drains.

2013-10-21 15.57.26.jpg

I'm not sure I wouldn't have that system reworked with some good three step epoxy coated steel or stainless steel beams and some epoxy coated rebar in the slabs. Seems like redesigning that system, since it's a good working system, is asking for trouble.

As for the covered drain. An industrial sewer cleaning service may be able to auger the construction debris out of it.

I'll respond to both questions. Yes that is concertina wire. Also note that whileI live in FL and have a pool there, this is a 2nd pool which is NOT in Fla. The pool grate and some supplies were bought in Florida tho. I'll look into a professional sewer clearing service.

Yes the architect said the beams need to be recoated every 6 months. I really don't like the idea of regular iron in the pool water but maybe we can make the troughs 1/2 the current width and leave off the concrete slabs.

Last edited:
Can you just remove the slabs? Do you have to rebuild the wall? I agree with Bama that I would not redo the system since it works. I would work on making it safe and pretty. Take off slabs, put something else up there (matching flagstone?) and call it good.

Have you tried to clear the left side stuff on your own? It would be a bit of work for sure.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.