In North Texas... When is it best to run the pump during summer?

tenderfoot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
North/TX
So, given our blistering temperatures this summer, I am wondering if the soil acts as a bit of a heat sink cooling the water as it moves through the buried pipes when the pump is running... If so, then what would be best:
  1. keep the VS pump running from 10:00 AM to 6:00 pm (to actively cool during the hottest part of the day),
  2. keep the VS pump running from 10:00 PM to 6:00 am (to get it as cool as possible before the next day), or
  3. run the VS pump all day!

3, run it all day, but not for those reasons. I run mine all day to get constant skimming, filtering and chlorine. I can run my pump on low RPMs for 90% of the day and it doesnt cost anymore than running a ceiling fan.

If you are looking for cooling, I use these to help keep the pool cooler. They wont break the bank yet will knock off 2-4 degrees through evaporative cooling. I believe they are a local company, and it looks like they are on sale now (back to school sale :LOL:)

I’d definitely recommend all day, or at least during the hours you swim. I wouldn’t want to dive into a pool when the pump is off, especially in this heat. I guess it would be ok, but it just wouldn’t feel right to me. I don’t think running your pump is going to change your evaporation rate, except for maybe your water features. We have a chiller and run 17 hours/day and just deal with the evaporation. I like to keep the water cool.

Yes, I meant evaporation rate would increase if water features are on.

Re: running pump 24/7: I will need to calculate the impact to my electricity usage.

Curious: why does it feel wrong to you to be in the pool with pump off?

It’s just a personal preference. When I’m in the pool, I want to know the water is circulating, being filtered, and sanitized by the chlorine production of the SWCG, especially when the sun is radiating down on the water surface depleting the chlorine. I realize that it’s probably perfectly safe even without the pump running, but I just prefer to have it running when I’m in the pool.

Yes, I meant evaporation rate would increase if water features are on.

Re: running pump 24/7: I will need to calculate the impact to my electricity usage.

What speed do you run your pump? I run mine at 1,100 or so most of the time, which is enough to make chlorine and skim, yet uses the same amount of electricity as a ceiling fan so I see no change in the bill.

Here is mine right now:

1691761041984.png

What speed do you run your pump?
I run it for 8.5 hours daily, at 1700 RPM. I had a calculator from Jandy at some point that I used to calculate that time and RPM to use to make sure the water volume would be all circulated once every day. I did not calculate the power usage on that as I basically just accepted that I had to run it for that long and at that speed to get the circulation volume I wanted. But, I am going to figure out how to do that now. I don't have a fancy app meter like yours though :) So, I gotta figure out another way.

If you add solar heat panels you can also run them at night to cool things down assuming you get a decent temperature drop at night.
How much power can you get out of those solar panel batteries? and, if you don't mind, how much does it cost to install a system with such a power capacity?

Last edited:
that I used to calculate that time and RPM to use to make sure the water volume would be all circulated once every day
There is no need for a set number of turnovers. It's a moving target and entirely dependent on how much crud falls/blows into the pool. This will change considerably with much more in the spring/fall, and barely any in the mid season.

I run mine 24/7 because although 12 hours is likely enough filtering time, 12 hours off is a long time for debris to get waterlogged and sink before the pool starts skimming again.

In doing so, I've never not been filtered enough and the thought has never crossed my mind since 2012.

The added added bonus is that the SWG keeps me more or less topped off at high target or above, so I'm ready for whatever games the universe wants to play.

I chose it originally as we liked the running water look, and have come to love all the side bonuses.

why did you settle on 1700 RPMs ? What function needs that flow ? You could add the other hours at much less RPMs for peanuts. My pump pulls 35W at 700 RPMs and 110W at 1200.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
run the VS pump all day!
I would vote for this option. Like @JJ_Tex, I run 24/7 at around 1,050, which draws ~75 watts. It costs less than $6/month in electricity. I like constant skimming, chlorination, filtering, and circulation.

why did you settle on 1700 RPMs ? What function needs that flow ?
That was the time & RPM that the Jandy tool recommended for my pool setup.

@All: Thanks for all the input! I am going to try running it at a lower rpm for 24/7 and see how that goes. I do like all the added benefits you've all mentioned and also the look of it when the pump is running. And if it only costs that little per month (< $10 !??) wow... why not!

That was the time & RPM that the Jandy tool recommended for my pool setup.
Ok. As with much other industry advice, toss it out the window.

Take each function you wish to achieve, skimming, SWG, heater, water features, etc. Start low and increase 100 RPMs until that function works. Then, add 100 RPM to account for flow restriction as the filter gets dirty. That's the speed you *need* to run for any function. Any higher RPM function also satisfies any lower ones by default.

Say. You need 2500 for the bubblers. Turn them on for the hour you want to enjoy them, then go right back to sipping energy at the skim/swg 1200 rpm (?).

Thanks. That makes sense, but I am not sure how to determine if the SWG and filter "work" (or don't work) :)

The water features do come on every day for a few minutes, just to circulate the water in those pipes. Those are only on for prolonged periods when we manually turn them on. So, I will keep that as part of the new programming.

Any pointers you have on how to determine the necessary RPMs for the SWG and filter to do their job would be appreciated.

For the skimmer, I guess I just have to see if it continues to collect leafs and debris just as before when the RPMs were higher, right?

Any pointers you have on how to determine the necessary RPMs for the SWG and filter to do their job would be appreciated.
The filter does its job no matter what. SWG pools needing 12+ hours for FC production are all filtered enough by default.

Start the RPMs as low as they go and the swg will shut off from low flow. Increase 100 RPMs at a time and give the SWG 15 seconds to recognize the flow. At some point, it will turn on and start producing.

Then add 100 rpms for the filter getting dirty and losing some flow over time. Boom. You have your SWG speed.

For the skimmer, I guess I just have to see if it continues to collect leafs and debris just as before when the RPMs were higher, right?
Same thing. Start low and increase 100 and go check to see if the door is bobbing away. That's what does the work. The door stops the flow and then wooshes open for a second and any floating debris nearby gets sucked in from the flood.

Once the door is bobbing away, add 100 rpms and call that your skimming speed.

Reactions: Chihuaha Verde
I run it for 8.5 hours daily, at 1700 RPM. I had a calculator from Jandy at some point that I used to calculate that time and RPM to use to make sure the water volume would be all circulated once every day. I did not calculate the power usage on that as I basically just accepted that I had to run it for that long and at that speed to get the circulation volume I wanted. But, I am going to figure out how to do that now. I don't have a fancy app meter like yours though :) So, I gotta figure out another way.

How much power can you get out of those solar panel batteries? and, if you don't mind, how much does it cost to install a system with such a power capacity?
I was talking about solar heating of pool water and in your case solar cooling.
Regarding electrical solar:IMG_3939.png

So, according to the Aqualink interface, I consume the same total watts by running at 1700 RPM for 8.5 hours a day as compared to running 24/7 at 1200 RPMs. So, I am going to stick to 1200 RPMs 24/7 for now.

I used to also run the SWG for 4+ hours (50% of the pump running time) and that kept the FC level just perfect. I have now changed the SWG to run 20% of the time since the pump is now running 24/7.

I will monitor FC and see what happens over the next few weeks.

Reactions: Newdude
It looks like 1200 RPM was not allowing the SWG to kick in and do its job. I had a lot of algae this time around in March/April and I had never had this problem. I am in the process of doing the SLAM procedure. Gonna have to go up to 1300 RPM or revert back to my original configuration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support