In Line Pentair 320 Chlorinator Flow Rate with VS pump

TXpoolDIYguy

Jul 18, 2023
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I know most people on here don't like the 3" puck chlorinators because of CYA buildup, and I understand that. But I've got 3 under 3, travel frequently for work, and it rains enough in Houston that generally the dilution will keep CYA below 100.

ANYWAYS, I just retrofitted my Hayward Tristar with a Century VS motor and did some testing on power consumption/flow rates at various RPMs. I noticed that my chlorinator will not have any inlet flow when the total pump flow rate is lower than 55GPM (I have a Blue-White flowmeter installed). I'd preferably like to run most of the day in the 30 GPM range for the energy consumption savings, but obviously I need to get chlorine in my pool too! Is there a way I can get water to run through it at a lower total pump flow rate? Move it from top feed to bottom feed? (I think this will help, but will then only over the tablet at the bottom)? Switch to offline chlorinator?

Not looking for a lecture on why this is perfect example of why I should switch to liquid chlorine. Ain't happening anytime soon. TIA

Would you rather the lecture on why this is a perfect example of why you should switch to a SWG?

Or why the Trichlor feeder will kill your heater over time even with a Check Valve?

Lets see if there is anyone left here who uses the feeder with a VS pump the way you want to.

Would you rather the lecture on why this is a perfect example of why you should switch to a SWG?

Or why the Trichlor feeder will kill your heater over time even with a Check Valve?

Lets see if there is anyone left here who uses the feeder with a VS pump the way you want to.
I'll accept a lecture on SWG because I see it as the only other system that requires as little regular maintenance and chemical additions as trichlor tablets. Lay it on me!

Haven't had any issues with the heater with my single speed pump before, but I understand the concerns from backflow. I guess I can run the pump super low 24/7, and only turn it up when I want to add chlorine.

I'll accept a lecture on SWG because I see it as the only other system that requires as little regular maintenance and chemical additions as trichlor tablets. Lay it on me!

Haven't had any issues with the heater with my single speed pump before, but I understand the concerns from backflow. I guess I can run the pump super low 24/7, and only turn it up when I want to add chlorine.
Run the pump 24/7 or take the tablets and put them in a floating chlorinator where they will do some good. Most will hold six, some ten, and they will add a little bit of chlorine 24/7 without endangering the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.