In-line Chlorinator plus SWG?

mettius

Jun 25, 2012
Austin, TX
Is there any harm in using a Trichlor in line chlorinator which is plumbed just in front of the SWG cell?

I just had a SWG installed last week, and am about to add the salt. But I did about a 40% drain of the pool last week to get TDS down. My CYA is now very low, but I have a whole bucket of pucks which I had only been using when I went on vacation.
I note the iChlor manual says to put the SWG in front of and in-line chlorinates. But due to the retrofit nature it was put after the iChlor.

I need to raise my CYA significantly. Last week my reading was 12 ppm CYA, I threw in two pucks last week to add some (I was out of town all week). Just got home and want to get the SWG working. I note there is still about a quarter of a puck still undissolved in the chlorinator.

As long as you have the pump running at all times that trichlor is in the feeder, it is fine.

I am not keen on the set up. The hydrogen gas may build up in the feeder. There is a reason Pentair tells you to have the SWCG after the feeder.

Let's ask @JamesW his thoughts.

FYI -- if you have an iChlor, it is too small for your pool in your area. Be ready to run it near 100% for nearly 24 hours a day in the summer.

That is what they put in. I wasn't on the ball enough to realize that Pentair made anything but an IntelliChlor. I specified Pentair (which is my system). That is what they put in. It is an iChlor-30. Which is supposed to service a 30,000 gal pool. Mine is only 20,000. Guess I'll find out if it is enough. But too late at this point.

I did about a 40% drain of the pool last week to get TDS down
What were the components of the TDS ? Your salt may have been 3k, making the TDS seem high. We pay it no mind here and focus on the individual numbers.

You get about 3 ft of rain a year so your Calcium likely wasn't sky high and if your CYA is 'really low' after only a 40% drain, it was only double digits to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.