Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all,

I am in the middle of an extensive pool refurbish. I have a 33,000 gallon pool that has 4 working returns (2 have been identified as leaking and have remained closed for 5 years. For sake of non-argument, it is too late for me to address that separate issue).

I also have an in-floor cleaning system. My pool company suggested that I remove the system to prevent future problems. I am inclined to agree but just concerned about the reduced flow/circulation of water.

Both my contractor and my pool guy (who comes weekly) say it’s better to remove and that the 4 working returns are plenty.

I have a 2.7hp VSP pump and solar heat.

Any advice?!? Have to make a quick decision.

Thank you in advance.

4 working returns (2 have been identified as leaking and have remained closed for 5 years)
Did you fix the 2 leaking ones or do you now only have 2 functional returns.
That's a pretty large pool for only 2 functional returns.

How old is the pool?
Is the IFCS operational?
Have you had issues with the IFCS?
What brand IFCS?

If the IFCS is not functional or it would take lots of money to fix it, just abandon it. If you go this route, be sure they blow out the lines and cap/plug them in the pool and at the equipment pad/water valve before covering over the (previous) popups with hydraulic cement and then finally plaster the pool. You may also have to do a little plumbing work at the pad area.

It is also possible to turn one or two popups into floor returns. You would want a Jandy valve installed so you can turn these floor returns on/off as desired.

What is your plan for cleaning the pool if the IFCS is deactivated?

Reactions: Jimrahbe

How old is the pool?
Is the IFCS operational?
What brand IFCS?

If the IFCS is not functional or it would take lots of money to fix it, just abandon it. If you go this route, be sure they blow out the lines and cap/plug them in the pool and at the equipment pad/water valve before covering over the (previous) popups with hydraulic cement and then finally plaster the pool. You may also have to do a little plumbing work at the pad area.

It is also possible to turn one or two popups into floor returns. You would want a Jandy valve installed so you can turn these floor returns on/off as desired.

@proavia

Thank you for the response. Let’s see if I can answer.

I have a total of 6 returns. 2 have leaks and have remained plugged for 5 years (I have been here 3 years). For reasons, I dont want to get into, I did not take advantage of repairing them when i replaced half of my patio. LONG STORY. However, I have been told by two people that 6 returns was overkill anyway and I should be fine with the four.

How old is the pool? Pool is 14-15 years old
Is the IFCS operational? Yes. But doesnt do very well at cleaning. It does move water well as well as help with my solar heated water being moved around the bottom of the pool
Have you had issues with the IFCS? I replaced the water valves last year as well the tops and O-Rings.
What brand IFCS? Paramount PCC 2000

The lines have been blown and out and the plan was to remove the floor heads and fill in with cement and sealed over, remove the water valves and plum the water lines in a loop. There was a suggestion of plumbing the main drain with a "reverse" valve so heated water could be circulated backwards through the main drain. Recommended only if I was unhappy with the heating of the pool without the floor pop-ups. Please note, my heat is solar and really only used to maintain heat. Not used to heat to 85 on cold days.

I can certianly ask about re-using the pop-up but that may defeat the purpose of covering them in the first place which is essentially as a preventative measure against future leaks.

As for cleaning the pool, I have been using a weekly service since day 1 and dont plan on changing. If I did, I would probably use a Dolphin style cleaner.

I truly appreciate any further insite.

AB

Last edited:

How old is the pool?
Is the IFCS operational?
What brand IFCS?

Thank you for the response. Let’s see if I can answer.
Aj,

Four "working" returns should be plenty.

I'm no fan, so I'd remove the IFCS..

Let's see if @proavia has any inputs..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.