I'm so happy my build included...

one said I should just use Cal Hypo. I asked about it raising other levels adversely

Yep, your calcium will slowly go up.

When I said I didn't want the maintenance of sealing any stone, it shut the door on stone coping, so I said that we could then have the SWCG, and he pointed to our wrought iron fence and metal patio furniture and said they would be ruined by salt.

I am anti-metal furniture! A friend bought us a couple of lounge chairs as a pool opening gift. Just the rain caused some rust around the base and stained the deck so I have moved them. I will stay with the polymer stuff just in case in the future, Polywood.

He said they do not keep up in our Oklahoma sun, so have to manually add chlorine anyway, and are prone to needing lots of repairs.

Mine does fine, the generator needs to be appropriately sized. Mine just cruises along although if we have a party with lots of swimmers I will still add extra via bleach. Also CYA levels need to be appropriate, mine runs around 80.

Again, he said we should use pucks but he said the CYA in his pools stays a manageable 50 with the rate of evaporation/top off here, so was at least conversant with the issue and said it hadn't been a problem in his experience.

The water will evaporate but the CYA will not, it will climb and you will have to dump 1/3rd to 1/2 of your pool water every couple of years. Ask me how I know.

We do have a bluestone retaining wall going in about 4 feet from the water, so I don't imagine it would play nice with an SWCG unless I was willing to do the maintenance of sealing it periodically?

Also - apologies, blueskies!

Don't know about bluestone. Our stone was sealed, I don't think it will ever need to be resealed. If you wanted to be extra-anal you could seal your stone on all 6 sides with Stone-Tech before laying and use the special mortar they recommend to adhere to the sealed surfaces. We did not do this.

One guy who came to do a pump repair for us last year does a lot of weekly pool service, and he was strongly against SWCGs, too. He said they do not keep up in our Oklahoma sun, so have to manually add chlorine anyway, and are prone to needing lots of repairs. Again, he said we should use pucks but he said the CYA in his pools stays a manageable 50 with the rate of evaporation/top off here, so was at least conversant with the issue and said it hadn't been a problem in his experience.

Of course guys who provide weekly service hate SWCGs. They eliminate the need for anyone to add chlorine! :)

My SWCG keeps up in the TEXAS sun, with a 44,000 gallon pool.

And there's a major red flag there, evaporation does not lower CYA. CYA stays behind and continues to elevate as you add more pucks. In truth, he is not conversant with the issue!

I'd actually discussed this in another thread some time back but don't recall the specifics ... I know evaporation itself doesn't cause CYA to lower, but wouldn't the constant topping off of a pool a few inches a week lower the CYA over the course of the season, with similar effects of partial drain and refill?

If you are topping off your pool a few inches a week not due to a problem, you won't lower CYA because this should be due to evaporation. If you have a leak or are dropping the pool a few inches a week due to backwashing (not normal), then yes this will lower CYA.

Again, normal topping due to evaporation will NOT lower CYA. The CYA becomes more concentrated as evaporation occurs, then goes right back to the previous number after topping off.

If you are topping off your pool a few inches a week not due to a problem, you won't lower CYA because this should be due to evaporation. If you have a leak or are dropping the pool a few inches a week due to backwashing (not normal), then yes this will lower CYA.

Again, normal topping due to evaporation will NOT lower CYA. The CYA becomes more concentrated as evaporation occurs, then goes right back to the previous number after topping off.

This depends on if you are using pucks or another chlorine source that contains CYA, if so, you are constantly adding it and it will still continue to go up. In my case with a SWCG, I check CYA at the start of the season and add some at that time if needed but since I am not adding any more after that and I backwash with a sand filter, I will slowly lose some over the year. But so far just checking it at the start of the season has been fine.

We have an Aqualink and I really like that. It has freeze protection that comes on when it is needed. Love that I can switch from summer to winter timing so easily.

We have umbrella sleeves all along the southwest (house) side of the pool. Four total, one at the deep end where the table is set. One between the swim out and the spa, one on the shallow end side of the spa near the steps. One at the other end where we often keep the lounge chairs. Nice to have such flexibility with shade for the areas we are using the most.

Wish we had more room between the shrubs and the pool on the far side of the pool. One must step there to brush the pool, can't be done without brushing from that direction, and it is nearly impossible due to the shrubs and palms and such.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you think you might ever want landscape lighting I would have them lay conduit under the decking to make running wires easier. I didn't do that and regretted it big time. I had to run wires WAY out of the way (around the pool) to get them from the side of my house where the transformer was installed to the far side of the pool. Not only was it a pain to dig trenches to bury the wire, it created all sorts of problems with long wire runs and the associated drop in voltage as those runs got longer.

Also, one can never have enough decking. We ended up wanting to add a small outdoor kitchen after our build was complete and had to add additional decking to make it happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.