I'm SLAMing and desperately need guidance

Is there a writeup on 2 skimmer troubleshooting

Is there a writeup on how to troubleshoot main drains
Not yet. There is a write up about skimmers in general and how they typically tie into main drains when applicable. There's possibly some other relevant info there for you.

Pump flow lately only reaches 70-80 gpm instead of 100 gpm, and filter pressure is only 10 psi.
Weird and your system in post #18 seems pretty simple and straightforward

Screenshot_20230109_150408_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230109_150354_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Ignoramus
PROBLEMS
1. Pump flow lately only reaches 70-80 gpm instead of 100 gpm, and filter pressure is only 10 psi.

How are you measuring the GPM?

What makes you think you should be getting 100 gpm?

It looks like you have 1.5" pipe to the pool and 2" pipe on the equipment pad.

You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump:

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM

4. Is there a writeup on how to troubleshoot main drains? I think one isn't getting much suction. This is situation this morning (pump has been running since 8 pm when I took the picture). I've added a picture of the drains without leaves.

Main drains don't have much suction.

Does the pump run fine when the diverter valve is set to just run on the Main Drain?

full

How are you measuring the GPM?
Flowmeter. And now that I looked at it carefully, I was reading wrong scale - I used left scale, that's designed for Schedule 80.
20230109_155605.jpg

What makes you think you should be getting 100 gpm?
Anyway, max flow I had seen was 100 on Sch 80 scale. And now I'm getting maximum of 80 on the same scale.
It looks like you have 1.5" pipe to the pool and 2" pipe on the equipment pad.
They are both 2".
You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump:

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM
Hmmm, does this mean this equipment isn't plumbed properly and needs to be redone?
Main drains don't have much suction.

Does the pump run fine when the diverter valve is set to just run on the Main Drain?
At the moment,
Drains + skimmers produce flow 80
Skimmers - 65
Drains alone - 40
(All readings on left side of the flowmeter, for consistency of numbers. I will go back and replace numbers, when I can change them all at the same time)

Last edited:
Why do you think you need more flow then you are getting?
Because I've seen more flow in the system and lately I've been seeing bubbles in returns and pump skimming pot.

And because I think that with full flow I might get better suction with manual, skimmer-side vacuuming; it feels almost nonexistent compared to the robot.

Thank you!

60-80 GPM is plenty of flow.

More flow is not going to fix those perceived problems.

Skimmer suction vacuuming is the worst method of cleaning a pool. It’s performance is dependent on the equipment setup and plumbing more than flow. Some pool sunction systems are not setup for vacuuming.

That is why pressure side cleaners and robot cleaners were invented. Pool suction side vacuuming sucks.

60-80 GPM is plenty of flow.

More flow is not going to fix those perceived problems.
I think these are related. When I saw greater flow, I didn't have that many bubbles in pump skimmer, nor in return lines. Speaking of bubbles, how much of aeration (pH increase) does all this bubbling action provides?

Skimmer suction vacuuming is the worst method of cleaning a pool. It’s performance is dependent on the equipment setup and plumbing more than flow. Some pool suction systems are not setup for vacuuming.
I felt the truth of this. :D
That is why pressure side cleaners and robot cleaners were invented. Pool suction side vacuuming sucks.
LOL

but with my robot broken, and booster pump burned out, and removed from the system, that was my only cheap option for a vacuum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello to all, and especially to my patient mentors!
@ajw22 @JamesW @Newdude @HermanTX
@Bperry
I'm back with more questions. I'll add one post per subject.

Pool chemistry.
  1. I'm preparing for AA treatment. So I've lowered pH (and TA) with muriatic acid. After rains, air bubbling in my returns, etc. this is roughly what I have in the pool. I'll need to lower pH again for AA treatment.
    • What's the best way to lower pH in this situation?
    • Should I increase TA and CH to keep CSI within reasonable range?
    • Would higher alkalinity make my pH more stable?
    • NOTE: I have added polyquat 60 already, to keep the pool clear while I'm dealing with the leaks.Screenshot_20230207-095435.jpg
  2. I've got ProTeam Metal Magic for sequestration and their instructions say I need to have pH about 7.6 to use it.
    • What would be the best way to increase pH?
    • Or should i ignore that part of instructions?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Air leaks

Chasing the source of air bubbles in returns, I've checked pump bulkhead connections and they seem OK. But I have found leak at the drain of pump filter pot. It looks like a crack in the center seam of the pot. I've shmeared it all over with Lexel caulk for now, but later read in the fine print (yeah, i know I did a stupid) I've read that it's not designed for constant water contact.
Is this kind of crack patchable, in general?
If I could scrape off Lexel without completely damaging the pot, what's the best adhesive for the job?I've found few leaks in the filter.
I've replaced MPV drain o-ring, checked MPV flange o-ring and spider gasket adhesion. And I've replaced filter drain o-rings and both bulkhead o-rings. Next up is o-ring in pressure relief valve: if I plug the outlet (valve closed), I get water leaking from somewhere inside.
What other sources of air could be in my system? The two things I've not yet touched are VacAlert and Jandy selector/diverter valve in front of the pump.
20230109_154200.jpg20230109_154234.jpg

Thank you!

Pool Drain

Drain covers are not rgb compliant and are probably old. Furthermore, one of the drain holes is blind - nothing is connected to it and it was harboring about a cubic foot of original swamp-style algae slime.

I would like to replace them. The prices vary a lot. How do I determine what's the flow rate I need in the cover?
First one is ~$80, others are over $200.
Screenshot_20230207-080928_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230207-080955_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230207-081017_Chrome.jpg

Aquastar website discusses this curve. How representative is it?
Screenshot_20230207-112932_Chrome.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.