IG pool buddy seat

bwkopf

May 31, 2016
Muscatine Iowa
Hello all,

We bought a house several years ago with what I assume is a buddy seat but I'm not sure of the correct name for it honestly. When I had the person over that had been servicing the pool he told me the buddy seat doesn't work. I had no idea what he meant by that. It has two return jets or ports in it. When I turned the pool pump on, and made sure all the return valves we open not much if anything flows out the returns on the seat. There is another pipe by the pump/fitter coming out of the ground with nothing hooked up to it and it had a garden hose type fitting on it but I have no idea what that is for other than possibly a pool cleaner at one point. Any one have any ideas what makes these seats work? I attached a picture of what the seat looks like. This pool is 20-30 years old. Yes the seats have dirt in them. I took this picture when we opened the pool this year but dirt is always accumulating there everyday. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 22
You may need to adjust your valves to get maximum flow out of those jets. Also, I believe the round knob to the lower left will introduce air into the line to those jets to get more of a "spa" type effect.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean adjusting the return valves to the pool such that less goes to them and more to the seat? I tried turning that knob but I have to use a pair of channel locks to even move it. Since I can't see what is under it I am afraid wrenching on it too much might break something loose and now I have a big problem. I wonder if that was what the pool guy meant years ago by it no longer works. How is the air introduction into the lines created? Sorry I don't know anything about these types of seats.

I don't know much about that type seat either... but the air is kind of sucked in by venturi action. A stream of water goes thru a venturi jet and the action of the increased velocity of the water allows the air to be drawn in. The valve/knob on the edge of the unit allows the airflow to be regulated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.