Ideas and Options to replace inground Hayward SP1070 Skimmer

Steveyell

Apr 2, 2024
California
Hi folks - first post here.

We bought a property with an old pool 3 yrs ago and we have managed to rescue it from being a pond filled by the city with thousands of mosquito fish, making it a useable pool for our family.

The prior neglect has taken a toll though, and we now need to try replace the skimmer, which is perished from root ingress cracking and breaking the skimmer.

First challenge is finding a replacement - does a later model Hayward fit the same as an SP1070?

The next piece is trying to do this with minimal damage to the surround which will be a challenge.

I’ve attached a picture but any thoughts or suggestions welcome - finding a replacement is the first challenge :)

Thanks folks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 13

We bought a property with an old pool 3 yrs ago and we have managed to rescue it from being a pond filled by the city with thousands of mosquito fish, making it a useable pool for our family.

The prior neglect has taken a toll though, and we now need to try replace the skimmer, which is perished from root ingress cracking and breaking the skimmer.

First challenge is finding a replacement - does a later model Hayward fit the same as an SP1070?

The next piece is trying to do this with minimal damage to the surround which will be a challenge.

I’ve attached a picture but any thoughts or suggestions welcome - finding a replacement is the first challenge :)

Thanks folks.
They will cut out a big square chunk of the decking to dig down and remove the skimmer so may not need that exact skimmer anyway.

I would call Hayward and see what they suggest.

This Pentair skimmer can probably be used with a few adjustments to the skimmer box...

Thanks folks.
This is not a DIY project. Usually, either a builder or leak-detection company is who you would use for this project.