Idea of installing oversized Light in pool Niche, any thoughts?

theworldlylie

Jun 26, 2021
Kansas
Hello all!

I have a dead light and I am pretty sure I also have a leak in my light line conduit, so before I open the pool I was going to seal it off with permaseal. When I went to replace the light I noticed I ordered the wrong size light for my niche, however the light does come with instructions to mount without a niche as seen in one of the attached photos.

I was thinking I could just throw permaseal all around the light and just put it right over the niche flush with the liner. Is there anything wrong with my thought process/ do you guys have any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool niche.jpg
    pool niche.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 15
  • pool light comparison.jpg
    pool light comparison.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 15
  • poolexa pool instructions.jpg
    poolexa pool instructions.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 15
I think your risk is someone can hit or kick the protruding light and knock it out of the wall.

I would get the correct size light.

What would @1poolman1 do?

Reactions: theworldlylie
I think your risk is someone can hit or kick the protruding light and knock it out of the wall.

I would get the correct size light.

What would @1poolman1 do?
First, if at all possible, I would get the correct light. Always the safest thing to do.
If not, there are many pool products that are mounted by drilling and using plastic anchors. That light appears to be one that can be done that way. Hopefully the light is relatively flat and the wall that it will be mounted to (spa?) doesn't have too great a curve that won't let it sit flat
That mounting ring is already screwed and anchored to what appears to be 3 or 4 layers of plaster and could be removed.

First, if at all possible, I would get the correct light. Always the safest thing to do.
If not, there are many pool products that are mounted by drilling and using plastic anchors. That light appears to be one that can be done that way. Hopefully the light is relatively flat and the wall that it will be mounted to (spa?) doesn't have too great a curve that won't let it sit flat
That mounting ring is already screwed and anchored to what appears to be 3 or 4 layers of plaster and could be removed.
I just got done running the line so I can test to see how flat it will be, and there is a significant gap like @ajw22 thought. I think I will just return this one and order the correct one. Now if you notice the little screw point to screw the light in is broken, so you have a suggestion on how to fix that? I’m afraid if I take off the whole piece I might not be able to line it up with the liner again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done running the line so I can test to see how flat it will be, and there is a significant gap like @ajw22 thought. I think I will just return this one and order the correct one. Now if you notice the little screw point to screw the light in is broken, so you have a suggestion on how to fix that? I’m afraid if I take off the whole piece I might not be able to line it up with the liner again.
Light Wedge will work. This part will maintain bond:

Pool Tool Pool Light Security Clip # 132-A​

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.