Ice Problems Help...

Rynz

Jul 1, 2013
Chicago IL
This year in Chicago been crazy cold ice and snow ... This is my AGP 15ft round .. When i closed the pool i went about 5' below skimmer.. i been noticing more and more ice expanding up. Im not sure if my winter cover has a rip and is causing any new snow and ice to go in the pool and fill it. In years previous i never seen ice in my skimmer box like this...Im afraid with additional snow or rain im going to have a serious problem.... I was thinking do i put another winter cover on top of whats there now to avoid any other snow ice or water?? Am i in trouble???

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 38
If you can hook an open ended hose to that skimmer to direct excess (overflow) water away from the pool, I'd leave it open (skimmer 'drain') myself (that's what we do)
That is a lot of frozen water!

Reactions: Rynz
Think i should put another cover over it to avoid any more in the pool??
I would worry about toppling the sides as the ice starts to (eventually) melt, I would just open the high ports to allow excess to drain away (directed) "naturally", less pool damage (in our experience)

Im worried the weight of the ice in skimmer box is gonna break off... But im afraid if try melting the ice with heat gun or something that plastic will break...
I wouldn't try to melt it, do you have something like a 2x4 you could put under it for support?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had an AG a number of years ago, and one year the same problem, water crept up and froze. Other years it managed to just drip out between freezes . Chicago is hit or miss on the winters we get, and this year we got hit with rain, snow, but the brutal cold this year might not have allowed for some of the water to run or evaporate. The idea about the 2x4 I thought was good and would address the weight if you are worried, be careful not to force it in there, as the plastic may be at its stress point and just looking for an excuse to crack.

Heating old pipes back in the day was always a Crud shoot. Not a fan, but sometimes you have to do something to move forward. Here you may be able to ride out the storm and wait for the sun at this point. That being said, best results seem to be those where looooooow heat was applied over a looong period of time. Also, the age of the skimmer may play a factor.

Sorry, not much help but I feel your pain. And looks like we are going to be under 30 for the next week, with Sunday below 2 at some point. Interested to know how it goes.

Well so far so good ... i put a cup full of salt on top of ice and let sit overnight.. Next day the salt ate alot of the ice and i just ran warm water to clear out the rest ... suppose to rain this weekend and be above 40deg for the next week ... fingers crossed IMG_0717.jpg

Reactions: splashpad
Did you install any type of plate in front of skimmer? They are not water proof and will let some water seep, but would drastically help
Also a plastic water bottle half filled with RV anti-freeze sitting in the skimmer for ice expansion. Maybe you already know but just throwing it out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.