IC40 showing zero salt on EasyTouch 8 but is still generating chlorine.

Dan-H

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2011
No. CA
I recall reading about this a while back but could not find the thread. Apologies for asking again if this is a repeat question.

EasyTouch 8, Intellichlor IC40. IC40 LEDs indicate everything is "good" but ET8 says Salt level is 0.

IC40 set to 40% and must be generating chlorine because I have chlorine in the pool.

I have reset the system a couple different ways including powering down the entire system at the main breaker for 5 mins.

The cell has not been acid washed for a while so that is the next thing to do.

Any other suggestions?

James,

I think it is a race condition, or timing issue, and that the fix will be a software update.. The problem is that not many people have the devices or knowledge to load new software. It is not like you can just plug an EasyTouch into the Internet.. :)

Jim R.

Thank you for the link Jim. That was the thread I remember but could not find.

The EasyTouch2 8 has Firmware 2090. Flashing new firmware does not appear to be a DIY task from what I've read. Sounds like I need a tech with the right tool or for me to cobble together a firmware loader.

Pentair Automation Flash Programming Kit 520957 the price for this is just a tad high...

I'll try the other options. This was working about a month ago and started not working around the same time a bunch of other settings got scrambled on the ET8.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan,

Unless Pentair has had a recent F/W change that fixes this problem, it would do no good.. We have seen both very old and very new systems both having the same issue..

I don't personally think Pentair has a clue as to what is causing it.. Otherwise, we would have heard about Pentair Techs going out and reloading the F/W to fix the systems that are still under warranty, rather than installing new cards and/or new cells..

Thanks,

Jim R.

We just had the same issue. Since it was under Pentair warranty they came out and the guy told me he does multiple of these every month. He replaces the flow switch inside the IC40 which apparently has the sensor that reports to the Easytouch (which must be a different sensor from the one reporting to the LEDs on the IC40 itself). It was a 10 minute repair and now the salt level shows again.

The flow switch contains the flow switch and the temperature sensor. It connects to the cell. The cell contains the salinity tester (conductivity). The cell uses the temperature measurement to determine the salinity based on the conductivity and the temperature. The cell then passes the data to the EasyTouch. We're not sure why the Easytouch will sometimes report 0 salinity. Maybe there are multiple things that will cause the 0 reading. Possibly, a bad thermistor will cause the Easytouch to report zero salinity. The cell software will ignore the sensor if the readings are deemed to be unreliable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.