IC40 Pentair salt cell low water temp light?

Jun 15, 2013
Corinth,TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
OK so I can't figure out why my salt cell thinks the water temp is low. It's displayed correctly on the Easy Touch control panel.
The cell is original equipment from pool build in just over 7 years ago. It had been producing chlorine as normal this season. Today it's not producing any chlorine apparently it shut it self down because of the low water temp (that doesn't exist). I did clean the cell, but no bubble action took place, telling me that the plates were clean anyway.
Is the service life of the cell over?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You can try the method JamesW mentioned by cutting the temp sensor wire (so it goes to the default setting). And this will cause the temp compensation for the salinity to be not working and could trigger a high or low salt reading.

But if your cell is over 7 years old, it should be near the end of its life.

I have generic IC40 cell you can borrow for testing purpose, they actually have a design which you can replace the faulty sensor in 1 minute should a similar situation happen.

So I tried the cell testing procedure. It's now indicating high salt by a green flashing light. The low water temp light, red is not illuminated. The panel says 5500ppm. It has never agreed with a salt drop test. The Taylor salt drop test came out 4200ppm.
The cell is now currently making chlorine.

Monday the cell is continuing to make chlorine. The green light is steady green.
The control panel now says the salt is 4450ppm. I plan to drain some water and refill in hopes of lowering the salt concentration so it's back in range.

I hope the cell hangs in there until I can locate a new one. So far I've been shocked by the prices 😲
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.