IC-60 reading high salt but Taylor says otherwise

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
IC-60 green light is flashing meaning high salt.

Taylor kit tested several times says I have between 3600-3800 ppm. IC-60 light is green. Was not flashing yesterday all day but all of sudden this morning, it starts flashing. Current ambient is 56 F.

I did read this thread (6 years old though):

IC60 reading high salt

Seems like the same thing. Should I just ignore the light? Can I damage the cell if it turns out a little high? (which I severely doubt)

First year with a SWG so I'm a bit skittish.

Manual is here https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/sanitizers/manuals/intellichlor_owners_manual_version_3_units_after_nov_2011_english.pdf

See pages 11 and 28.

If you had truly high salt levels it may long term damage your pool. It will not damage the IC60 cell.

The IC60 salt readings are +/- 500 ppm at best. I would not panic if your Taylor readings are good.

Yeah, definitely not panicking per se, but I do find it odd. Taylor read 3800ppm and then a little lower the second time (but close).

I wonder if it is just ambient temperature of the water (it's really cold right now without having a heater, that's next year). I am hoping by this afternoon as we reach 85/86 today, the water heats up and light goes back to solid green else I'm confuzzled. Again, it was solid green all day yesterday with no change from me.

I have a viny liner so I can't imagine even if it were at 4500ppm I would be damaging the liner that much...

What is your water temp?

Page 2 says:

Temperature Sensor: To protect the IntelliChlor SCG from operation and potential damage when the temperature of the pool water falls below 52° F, ±3° F (11° C, ±1.67° C), the temperature sensor switches the IntelliChlor SCG off, illuminates the COLD WATER light and no chlorine will be produced.

• Salt Sensor: Two (2) salt sensor probes in the IntelliChlor SCG are activated each time the IntelliChlor SCG is switched on and again during every 12 hours of operation. At each of those times, the salt level LED indicator lights flash in a scrolling sequence for two (2) minutes to indicate that the IntelliChlor SCG is in analysis mode. After two (2) minutes, the LED indicators lights will signal one (1) of three (3) salinity ranges. For more information, see “Salt Level Status LEDs” on page 7.

What is your water temp?

Page 2 says:

Temperature Sensor: To protect the IntelliChlor SCG from operation and potential damage when the temperature of the pool water falls below 52° F, ±3° F (11° C, ±1.67° C), the temperature sensor switches the IntelliChlor SCG off, illuminates the COLD WATER light and no chlorine will be produced.

• Salt Sensor: Two (2) salt sensor probes in the IntelliChlor SCG are activated each time the IntelliChlor SCG is switched on and again during every 12 hours of operation. At each of those times, the salt level LED indicator lights flash in a scrolling sequence for two (2) minutes to indicate that the IntelliChlor SCG is in analysis mode. After two (2) minutes, the LED indicators lights will signal one (1) of three (3) salinity ranges. For more information, see “Salt Level Status LEDs” on page 7.

Yeah, I didn't realize about the two minute wait time. So I wound up putting an extra bag of salt in. But I can't imagine one bag is going to screw the pooch.

Also, I notice that the cell light goes off at the lowest setting sometimes (20%) and then if I put it on 40%, it goes green again. Not sure why that is happening. This cell is brand new.

I find one 40 lb bag of salt raises level about 100 - 150 ppm in a 35k gallon pool.

Note the cell only checks salt level every 12 hours. So if it got a bad reading then give it a day and see if it changes.

I find one 40 lb bag of salt raises level about 100 - 150 ppm in a 35k gallon pool.

Note the cell only checks salt level every 12 hours. So if it got a bad reading then give it a day and see if it changes.

That is exactly right! I turned the power off and on and again and what da you know? Solid green. I tested with the Taylor again...18 drops on the dot. Looks good to me.

But now I have another issue: The Cell light turns off. If I raise the %, it goes on green again. But then when I set it back down to 20% it goes off after a while. What gives? Pump is currently at 1500rpm and the flow light is solid green too.

The IC SWCG uses a 300 second cycle. So at 20%, it is on for 60 sec then off for 240 seconds.

Cell light off is normal when not generating chlorine. You turn it down to 20% it stops generating.

Page 7:

CE1D79AB-A0FD-455A-901A-76C6EE021DF1.jpg

I feel like such a dope. I don't know HOW I missed that in the manual. Mea culpa. Thank you so much guys! The lights are all green again and my pool looks TFP spectacular.

I WISH Pentair's troubleshooting guide mentioned that the CELL light off could mean it is going through its cycle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.