I Want to Build an Automation System - Tips and Opinions?

Biskitz

Nov 15, 2023
Southern Indiana, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all, newly registered TFP user but been lurking for a while now.

I went to school for Industrial Automation and Maintenance and I do a fair bit of network & PLC at my work. I've always been drawn to using automation as a solution to many problems and inconveniences, so of course when I bought my house with a pool and installed a new heater and went to SWG I started thinking about the automation possibilities. I didn't really know if there were any solutions already documented for this kind of application but a quick Google search showed me everything I needed to know. Because a lot of what I work with is industrial, I initially thought it would be easiest for me to use the methods I'm already familiar with to achieve this goal. Maybe there is a world where that would work okay, but after seeing many projects using RPIs with great success, I realized going down a more expensive and less documented path was probably a bad idea. @cmc0619 's project in particular has been my main inspiration, along with Drew Beer's "poolBot" Edit by Jim R. No links for new users..

My goals are going to be similar but probably more simple. Don't get me wrong, I could dive head first into automating everything, but I'm taking a step back. Often times, much automation and many devices just ends up you checking and maintaining the system more than you would with manual controls, and that's kind of besides the whole point for me lol. Here's what I want to control remotely.

1. Pentair VSP w/ RS-485 connection (I haven't decided which one I will get yet. Next season. But it's in the plans.)
a. Manual On/Off and speed control
b. Pump speed schedules
2. IntelliChlor w/ RS-485.
a. Manual input dosing setpoint based on manually testing water
3. Raypak R6450ti heat control
a. AUX contact on heater
b. RTD tee'd in piping for temperature measurement
4. Pool lights (on the fence bc the switch is far away from equipment)
Some additional items I may need/want:

5. Pressure sensor for filter (and inHg sensor for suction if the pump I buy doesn't have flow metering.)
6. Outdoor Temp sensor
7. WIFI antenna/range extender for RPI

So here's what I'm thinking for going about controlling all this. RPI, with Sequent HAT(s), running node-Red with nodejs-poolController handling RS-485 comms and n-R for everything else. However, what may be unique to me, is I would like all my controls integrated to Home Assistant. I haven't got it running in my house yet but I'm also going to be running a HA Windows-hosted machine for very basic home automation. I haven't seen much online on how you might go about connecting the n-R instance on the pool RPI and the HA, so I'm looking for help there.

Another funny thing about mine is, I'm not really sure I will need many if at all relays/contactors. If I can control my IntelliChlor and pump thru RS-485 then I'm happy to leave their power disconnects be. It won't be as clean but it's simpler and saves money. I may still need one relay for the heater contacts, but I don't know. Anyone know what voltage/amps that contact coil needs to work?

I am also looking for some recommendations on sensor types/brands that any of you have used with a Sequent HAT, and what HAT you're using. I was having trouble on Sequent's website trying to find a HAT that had more versatile input types and relays. The "HV input and relays" board looks like it may be what I need, as the inputs also have a LV mode 3-24V, but I'm mostly familiar with pressure and temp sensors working with 4-20mA or 0-10V, due to industry and PLC standards. So I don't really know how well that board would work.

That's all I can really think of to share and ask, for now, until I come back probably later today or tomorrow with some follow up of everything I'm forgetting lol. Thanks to you all! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, upon further research, I stumbled upon the "DIY Standalone Nixie Pool Controller" guide on nodejs-PoolController. That alone has answered a lot of my questions so far. Still, though, if you'd like to drop your 2 cents in the hat of this thread with tips, tricks, allat... then be my guest! I'd be grateful to learn.

Thanks.

NodeJSPoolController is the way to go. Works great. There is also the REM to control the boards.

The Sequent boards I use are the MegaBas and 8Relay board.

Ask questions we are happy to help.

I think my biggest question still lies in how I would go about meshing this system with a separate Home Assistant running on the network. Having control thru njs-poolPanel would be great and all, but it isn't much in the vain of true automation if I can't let it also be controlled by the system running everything else. I believe I saw some post elsewhere on the interwebs that mentioned how to connect a separate node-Red node (RPI) to Home Assistant on the network, but I don't know enough about node-Red and the nodejs code to determine if the running application and its objects, schedules, etc can be specifically accessed from HA.

This may very well be the only time anyone's tried to do this so I won't be surprised if no one knows and I have to do some trailblazing, lol.

There is a Home Assistant integration for the NodeJSPool Controller. I use it and it works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.